Smokin' on Folly Beach, SC

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

follysmoker

Original poster
Jun 6, 2015
Folly Beach, South Carolina
Hey all, my name is Brad, I live down on Folly Beach, SC right outside of Charleston.  House sitting for some friends a few months back and fell in love w/ my buddy's Traeger smoker.  Ended up buying a MES30 for myself and I love it.

First of all I need to say thank you to everyone on this website.  Took me a minute to join, but I've been scouring these pages ever since I bought my smoker, and I can't believe how much information is here and how helpful and enthusiastic everyone is on this website.  Thank you!

So far I've done a lot of Baby Back Ribs, a few whole chickens, a couple pork tenderloins, and a lot of onions.  Tried making jerky, but couldn't get it to turn out as good as in the dehydrator.  Thinking of a way to combine the two.  Smoke for a few hours, then transfer to dehydrator or something.

Got my first pulled pork attempt in the MES right now.  I'm at around 155 degrees hoping to foil soon.

Thanks again for everything, I'm sure I'll be asking questions soon.

Brad

texas.gif
  Good evening and welcome to the forum, from a nice warm day here in East Texas. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

Welcome to the site, Brad. It looks like you are already into the way it works. Believe me, it will only get better. Charleston is our favorite weekend location, being only 3 hours away. We love the food, the city, the atmosphere and everything about it. Good luck with your new smoker. Sounds like it is being used a lot. Joe

Update: pork turned out amazing. Took almost 17 hrs but it got done. Seemed like it hit two plateaus. One around 150-155 (time of my original post) and one around 170, right after I foiled it.

Used SoFlaQuer's finishing sauce. Except with Konriko Creole seasoning instead of Chachere's. If you don't know about that, definiteky try it out it's amazing stuff from Louisiana.

Thanks for the welcome everyone! Smell Smoke and Joe Black it's good to be in the company of locals. Next time your in Charleston on a Sun, Mon, or Wed, pop into High Cotton downtown for a drink. I'll most likely be playing upright bass in the corner.

Brad! I grew up and spent most of my life on James Island! Spent YEARS down at Folly! I'm old enough to remember seeing the drifters play in the pavilion.

Brad, That butt sure looks good. I can almost smell it up in Greenville. I'll be sure to check you out at High Cotton next time I'm there.

Jim, This gives you 2 stops to make on the Red Truck Express to SC.

Welc9me! Not fellow SC but this was by far my favorite vacation I was on last year. We drove down to charleston during our visit to nc. I will definitely be there longer than 2 days next time! I feel in love with oysters while there at Pearlz. Great food as well. We made a mistake first night ND went to stupid bubba gump. Worst thing we did there. Folly beach was a great time spent for my first time in the ocean.

Any way welcome and I'm always looking for cheap flights from wi to charleston for the misses and I. We loved what we saw.

SA

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky