Smokin on a Grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

peter

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 17, 2006
By Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
My first successful smoke of the season was a beef roast and some chicken drums. It is also my first grill smoke and it was with someone else's grill.

The roast was a small beef rump roast that took about 3 hours, the chicken drums took about 2 hours. I used hicory chips in a steel tray from Walmart. As you see from the pictures I used only half the grill for the meat and half for the smoke box.

Overall, I think this method works, but not as well as an indirect smoker would. I found the smoke did not circulate very well and there was very little smoke flavor in the chicken. The beef was better. I like my beef medium rare and as the pictures show, it was very juicy and pink. We foiled the roast for about 1 hour as it was done before the rest of the meal. This allowed the juices to redistribute through the meat. ( I will foil more often now ).

The outside temp was 6c of 43f. We still have a bit of snow in the yard.

I said my first successful smoke earlier, I destroyed a couple of chickens last week due to a grease fire in my smoker. It also damaged my smoker seals. My smoker is homemade and is simply a metal case sitting ontop of a burner. The chip pan sits on the burner. I did not use a grease catch pan and the chicken grease dripped into the chip pan. Long story short, it lit up and made charcol out of my chickens. New design time!

Anyway, I hope the pictures come through OK.
730d9b53_vbattach12055.jpg

0c450d30_vbattach12053.jpg

50ccdbbf_vbattach12054.jpg

60100811_vbattach12052.jpg

Looking good! I too like my meat medium rare. That's one concern I have with doing beef on the smoker. I'll have to make sure that I get thicker cuts next time.....

I used to smoke all the time on my gas grill before. Pork chops were always the best. Now I have a grill with a built in smoker tray. Eh. Doesn't work as well as the old box did.

Man o man Peter, that sure looks Delicious!!!! Drooling.... Sorry to hear about your grease fire.....are you gonna redesign the old one or start over with a new design???
Also that is a beautifull landscape, glad to say are snow has finally melted, you shouldn't be to far behind.

BTW-Tulsa Jeffs newsletter this month features how to smoke on a grill....very interesting!!!

I have a new design in mind and have the steel pipe on line now. My daughter works for a manufacturing company and they have donated a peice of pipe 20 " Dias and 60 inches long. I will build a horizontal smoker with indirect heat. The diameter is a bit small, but it is not being used for large crowds and should suffice. I will include a grease drain to prevent this issue again.

The snow here was deep year and should be gone in the next couple of weeks. I saw a sure sign of spring while I was smokin, a gopher was running accross the snow, won't be long now...

I read Jeff's newsletter and that is why I tried it, I will try again as it is all I have right now and won't stop smokin....

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the reply, I have always loved pork chops and will try them on the smoker. I have had them grilled and also over an open fire which added a bit of smoke, and they were both good, now to actually smoke some....

I meant to ask that too. That's nice if you are doing drummies!

Chops are one of those things I don't think I want to smoke as much. I love having a nice rolling smoke, searing the chops, then slow cooking them for a little longer to impart more smoke flavor.... I hate it when people overcook chops (thick ones!) They are best with still some nice pink/medium!

I smoke small cuts like chops and such on my two-burner gasser with good results. The only fatty that I have done on the gasser turned out very good. I just have to watch my temps as my grill will get very hot if I'm not careful.

Peter -

That roast looks fantastic! Drummies to. Nice rack you got there I wonder if it'd fit in my ECB? I will have t go back to WallyWorld I guess.

Congrats on the promotion!

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

The dimensions are
Length= 15 1/2 inches
Width= 6 Inches
Height= 6 & 5/8 inches

I don't know if you can find it at Walmart in the US, But if needed, I could probably ship one down for a couple of bucks shipping charges.

Hope this helps.

TTYL

I grilled last night and today. Yesterday it was pork steaks and today it was just burgers, but I used all hickory splits.
My kin came down to help out with my Moms house and since my smoker is down, I decided I would try to grill over wood splits instead of charcoal. It was fantastic and the family loved it. I will never buy charcoal again. It's stick burning all the way for me now.

Gunny, you must be going thru some serious smoker DT's with your's being out of commision. I feel for ya.
icon_cry.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky