Smokin' n00b w/MSE & a Pork Butt Already Cookin' Low & Slow!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ostrichsak

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 4, 2013
Howdy everyone!  Brand new to the hobby but I'm a VERY experienced 'que connoisseur.  I've had fantastic (and some not so fantastic) BBQ all over this great nation and I'm excited to finally be able to take what I've experienced and start trying to make my own.  I got a fantastic deal on a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker and while I realize there may be better and lots frown down on electric smokers I'm amped to have my first smoker.  I also got a Maverick ET-732 remote thermometer and am considering getting a AMNPS and going with pellets but for now apple chips seems to be working.  I'll know more in a few hours or possibly more since the internal temp appears to have stalled at around 160deg.  Considering pulling it off now and foiling it to see if that helps get things going since I've got company that's going to be showing up momentarily.

Otherwise I'm located in Northern Colorado and my first day smoking started with an ambient temp of 40deg and lots of wind.  I guess if nothing else it will help to keep the element going to keep the smoke going!

Anyways, I'm glad this forum exists and I plan to do LOTS of research and hopefully someday soon I'll even be able to contribute with what I've learned.

:welcome1: to SMF!!! We're happy you joined us! We have over 50,000 members now who just love to share what they know. You've come to the best place on the net to learn and share everything Q!!!
If you have guests on the way I would get some foil around that thing and even crank the heat just a bit. It could sit in a stall for a long time but the foil will help push through it. Don't worry about wood now, the smoke won't get through the foil!
Let us know how it turns out!

Welcome aboard.  This is a great place to learn.  I've been learning off of this site for the past 6 years.  I have an MES and and AMNPS as well, and both are great products!  I've had some very juicy butts come off of that thing.  Good luck tonight and enjoy it whenever it finishes.

Thanks guys! Shortly after starting this thread I wrapped it in foil, bumped the temp about 25deg & shortly thereafter the temp was climbing again. Passing 180 now so now I need to plan my next steps. Thinking of taking it out to rest at 190-195 since it will continue warming past that. Would that work or should I take it out at 200-205 to rest? I'd like to let it rest 45-60min but since I'm crunched for time I think if I get a 30min rest I'll be doing good. The different between that last 10deg & that extra 15-30min of rest could be over an hour at the current rates.

Thoughts?

At that point you don't want to be concerned with temp as much as you should be tenderness. Do a "toothpick test", that is probe it with a toothpick or other thin sharp probe and feel for tenderness. When your probe slides in with no resistance at all like going into warm butter it is ready. I've had them tender at anywhere from 190*-205*. Also probe in multiple locations all around it. This is the real indicator of when it is ready for pulling.
If you only have time for a short rest I would take it out of the foil and put it on a pan, elevated with a small rack if possible, and just lay a towel over it.

Sounds good! BTW, what's a 'short rest'? 15min? 30min? What's considered bare minimum?

If you can get 30-45 mins that would be great but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, especially when you have hungry people staring at you!

OMG is this good!  Quick update:  I pulled it from the smoker at 201deg (I was staring at it at 199 waiting and it jumped 2deg!  lol) and left on the rack in the foil on the counter.  I let it rest a half hour and then pulled it apart with a couple of forks.  I wasn't expecting much for my first smoke and that was before everything seemed to go wrong.  I was not let down.  This stuff tastes incredible and I found that it's even better w/o BBQ sauce.  Never thought I would be able to make 'que that tasted better w/o sauce then with but there it is... I did it!  Haha.  Part of me is excited for my accomplishment & looks forward to what I can do to make it better and the other part of me thinks that I set that bar too high and the only place to go now is down.  ROFL

I guess we'll see but so far I'm loving this new hobby of mine!

texas.gif
Hello from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.    WOW   looks great, can you send some to East Texas  !!!!

Gary

welcome1.gif
to SMF!  We are so glad you joined us! 

We love to see pictures of what you are cooking (or what we call q-views here at SMF).  To "upload the q-views" just follow the directions here and it will be easier. If you are using a cell phone, an IPad or a kindle, go to the main SMF page and click the Mobile button. Will make the uploads a bit faster too.

If you didn't read the "Terms of Service" notes.....please do.  There are a few things that everyone should know about those pesky little rules before plunging into the forums and some guidelines of how to interact within the forums. Off site links are not allowed here at SMF per TulsaJeff. Not that you have done anything wrong....just a little bit of FYI for new members!

If you need any help roaming around the forums....just holler!  Happy to help out!

Kat

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky