Smokin' Chicken - Many Pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

q3131a

Meat Mopper
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 19, 2005
Gulf Coast Florida
My brother-in-law and family are coming over for dinner tonight. So, I thought we would do some smoked chicken. Winn Dixie has whole roasters on sale for .88/lb. So, yesterday I stopped and picked up two whole roasters. Last night I opened, cleaned and brined the two chickens. This morning I got them ready for the smoker.

Here are the chickens after brining overnight.

DownloadAttach.asp

Brine recipe:
1.5 gallons of water
1.5 cups kosher salt
1.5 cups regular white sugar
1/4 soy sauce
1 tbl dried rosemary
3 tbl black pepper
3 tbl red pepper flakes
1 tbl cumin
dash of this dash of that
After the brining, pull the chickens and wash inside and out (to remove excess salt). You only want the salt that the chicken absorbed.
Next step is to prepare the stuffing:

DownloadAttach.asp

Two limes, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, 1/4 large red onion, missing from the picture are 6 cloves of smashed garlic.

Here the birds stuffed but not tied yet:

DownloadAttach.asp

Now it's time for the rub: Each bird will have a different rub. Bird 1: South West Chipotle; Bird 2: Rub recipe from Israel (made from scratch)
Bird Rub 2 spices being warmed to intensify flavor. They they are ground in a spice mill.

DownloadAttach.asp

Here are the spices used for the rubs:

DownloadAttach.asp

Rub 1: Prepackaged SW Chipotle - I am concerned about this rub since it has salt and I already brined the birds. We'll see if it is too salty.
Rub 2: Red Pepper flakes, Cardamom, Coriander, Paprika, Oregano and Cumin.

Here are the birds rubbed and ready for the smoker:

DownloadAttach.asp

Also, I am going to do some smoked sausage (seen at the right of the picture). These were left over after a recipe for dinner yesterday.
The birds are going to go on at noon. They should be ready sometime between 5 and 6 pm. Temperature will be 225 to 250 for 5-6 hours. They will be finished when the breasts are 162 on my digital thermometer. I will pull them an let them rest 15 minutes before serving.

Updates to follow.

nice looking birds

as for your pics.... they wont show up because that site doesnt allow hotlinking to other sites... get yourself a photobucket account... then you can put the pic wherever you want:)

Nice looking birds. But for me (and I stress that), I smoke my yardbirds
(3.5-4.0/ lbers) at 225 - 240 degrees until the breasts are 165' and it takes only 3- 3 1/2 hrs.

Real nice pics.. birds look great. the sokuto is nice love that style of knife and I'm surprised.....are there two survivers or are they to be dealt with later.LOL How did that happen.
mmmmmmm.
icon_wink.gif

Actually they won't work because the other site renames the pics without a .jpg extension. I have another site on my earthlink account that does allow .jpg endings and my other threads have pics that work.

I LOVE that knife. It is a Wustof and worth every penny.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky