Smokin' a small pork butt - how do they differ from the BIG Butts?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

floyd

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Hollywood, MD
I have only smoked 9 to 10# butts and I found a 3.5# at the grocery store yesterday. I was wondering if I could get cooked a lot quicker that the big ones. I also have always cooked at 220 to 240 for my butts. Will it be as tender with the higher temp of 275-285. I plan to pull it at 195 to 200 degrees. I am also cooking two spatched chickens during the same session and the higher temp works for them. Anyone got any hints for success?

Biggest difference?  It will cook quicker!

Be sure to monitor your internal temp.  For a 3.5# butt smoked at 225 you should be done in about 7 hours or less.  Keep your eye on that IT....200 IT for pulled pork...175 - 185 for sliced or minced!

Good luck,

Bill

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky