Smoker went out overnight - pork safe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

netsfan1818

Original poster
Jul 3, 2022
I was smoking on my BGE 2 9 pound pork butts boneless. Temp was around 230 at midnight when I last checked and internal temp on the meat was 155. I woke up at 530 and the grill temp was 95 and meet dropped to 117. I wrapped it in foil and tossed back on the grill cooking at about 275 and got back up above 140 by around 7am. Pork to safe to serve? Based on the time it took to come down temp I assume I’m close to that 40-140 rule but does that still could since the meat was at 155 already?

Oh, if we only had a nickel for every time we read about a smoker going out over night. Sadly each and every one of these occurrences are painfully real to the person that goes through the event. It's easily avoided just like TNJAKE TNJAKE said, a remote therm with an alarm for both high and low temps is the solution. Never go to sleep without one!

Reactions: jcam222 and TNJAKE
Oh, if we only had a nickel for every time we read about a smoker going out over night. Sadly each and every one of these occurrences are painfully real to the person that goes through the event. It's easily avoided just like TNJAKE TNJAKE said, a remote therm with an alarm for both high and low temps is the solution. Never go to sleep without one!
Just wait until tomorrow morning. There will be so many "help my smoker went out" posts. Drives me nuts lol

Lol the worst part is I have one - Weber Igrill but the Weber connect app sucks - alert is too low. Should’ve set my own alarm to check. With the speed it went couldve just started at 5am instead. Oh well - still came out good! Thanks guys for the help

Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky