smoker temps and time for meatloaf?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

EdP

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
I’m trying my first smoked meatloaf later today, and have about 2.5 pounds of ground beef.

I usually run my smoker around 275 for pork/beef, but it looks like most everyone smokes meatloaf around 225 for 3+ hours.

Does a higher temp have any negative impacts with meatloaf?

Also, I noticed it looks like smaller loafs (about 1lb+) are common, is that for easy removal off grate?

Not sure about the size of the loafs and timing for this, so any advice is appreciated.

Reactions: negolien

Heres how I do mine. Maybe you can take from this and adapt it to yours

I made a few 1 lbers cause it's just me and the ole lady. I used the the bbq meatloaf wrapped in bacon from a member here. I have to say it was freakin awesome. Sometimes it's hard to tweak recipes as half stuff isn't always exactly the same somehow. I recommend u invest in a veggie mat too. There's stuff like choppers and such I have purchased by asking member here that makers stuff like this helpful. Feel free to ask about stuff people here are super helpful. Lots recipes in the site search is your friend though don't hesitate to ask if u have a hankering for something u might get a recipe from someone.

I do mine at 250 / 260 so I know it will be done under 4 hours . Comes out good .

Reactions: buzzy
Thanks for the insights, since this is my first go at it I’ll make 2 loafs and plan on 3 hours@250-275

They came out great, took less than 2.5 hours@ 250+, I mixed post oak and mesquite, maybe all mesquite next time

D214901C-CBEE-416C-BA63-7A2A6FC8845E.jpeg
3D4CF4BA-3C5A-457F-8640-D7606BDA61E7.jpeg

Those look good!
I do mesquite on mine too. Can't beat mesquite and beef.

If you ever do a big loaf like a 6 pound, expect it to take a looooong time lol doing smaller loaves like 2 pounds or less means way less time. Keep at it and u will find a preference of size vs time vs smoke applied to get what u like :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky