Smoker Technicalities

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dust8713

Original poster
May 31, 2018
I’m getting ready to start framing out my first build. I’ve been researching for quite a while now, and was hoping the wise could advise me on some questions. I’m building the smoker from wood and very interested in using the hardi backer board for the interior. I can’t see to find anywhere that this board doesn’t emit fumes, gasses, or is a safe cooking environment- as well as using fire caulk or any other type of adhesive for sealing the interior. Does anyone have some knowledge on this that can speak to its safety? The smoker will be vertical, and I’ll be retrofitting the burner from my masterforg smoker in the bottom with heat shields etc. From my understanding, wood combustion/flash point is 450*+ (given variables). So, why are other using cement board for the interior? Has anyone put insulation between the cement board and outter wood?
My other main question involves the smoke itself. It seems that most active members on here advocate using the amnts with a propane smoker. Has anyone ever made a mailbox style smoke box that holds the tube vertical and allows for it to be lit from the bottom? I’m thinking of building an attached smoke box on the side of the smoker, similar to the mailbox mod, with a door that would open up and allow me to put in the amnts vertically, and light it from the bottom with venitilation to the smoker from the side or the top of the attached smoke box. Every video or picture I see of an amnts in action is horizontal. Any thoughts, advice, comments would be greatly appreciated. I’ll post plans and pictures once I get them all together. Thanks!

The AMTS was designed to burn in the horizontal position... Think about lining your smokehouse with steel roofing panels.. insulate behind... The coating/paint is oven cured... baked on so to speak...

Ok thanks Dave for the advice. You are not a fan of the cement board? Is a wood interior like cedar or oak not a viable option? I don’t typically smoke anything over 300*. I’m not even really sure what one would smoke over 300*...

Steel panels are lighter, non porous, easily fastened, cheap, they will bend around corners for a seamless fit and at some roofing companies you can buy the odds and ends from roofing jobs for nothing...
Anything that needs temps over 225, I put in my oven in the kitchen...

So, why are other using cement board for the interior?
I really don't know . I would never do it . The questions you asked tell me your gut says it's not a good idea . I've installed more than my share , for its intended use . Backer board . Tile or plaster finish .

Has anyone put insulation between the cement board and outter wood?
Cement board is not a rated product . It only carries a rating if all other material is rated . It allows heat to transfer thru the core .

Listen to Dave . The roof panels are a great idea . Like he said , left overs are cheap , been paid for once already .
Sheet width is 38" with a 1 5/8 " over lap . That leaves a 36" exposure . So 2 sheets make 6 foot . You can put 3 x 3 angle in the corners behind the panels to seal it up .

Dave I called around to about 12 roofing companies near me and all of them were unable to help with any sheet metal. What would you say to aluminum flashing? I’ve seen a lot of posts from guys using aluminum, but I can’t find cost effect sheets (~$8psf) from any local retailer.

I had a fire in a smoker and the aluminum angle iron caught fire.... If you've never seen aluminum burn, you are missing something... They use aluminum powder in fireworks... burns hot and bright... I don't use aluminum in smokehouses any longer...
Around here, in the desert, everyone has steel roofs... fire danger... lots of used steel roofing... I've got 1800 sq. ft. piled up out back... replaced my roof about 5 years ago...
Check the price of steel roofing at Home Depot... If it's in your price range, I'd use it.. Don't use galvanized... Baked enamel is good...

...unknown about Hardy board cause nobody uses it...daveomak is on to it get some sheet metal thin use a hardwood for insulation...
Red

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky