Smoker Racks

  • Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.


Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 24, 2007
So I am doing a frdige mod into a smoker:

The fridge only came with 1 rack adn being that it was built in the 40's parts are hard to come by. I was thinking of using something similar to what Zardnok has welded into his smoker but I am not sure where I would find it. Do you think it is something I could find at a HomeDepot or am I in need of a more specialty shop.
That is called expanded metal. I have heard some folks say they got it at Home Depot, but our local one does not carry it. You can get it at any welding shop. It comes in varying size openings in the diamonds. It is not very rigid and to be used as a rack you will need some type of frame. You can get that done at the welding shop also. I had one built for a charcoal tray in my BSKD and they charged $25 for on with 1 1/4" angle all the way around and a piece of expanded metal on the inside. Parts and labor for $25, can't beat that.
I'll have to do some local searching to find it. Luckily my brother has a welding torch so I may be able to stiffen it up myself if I can find it.

Any other ideas for rack that may work a little better? Finding the right width and depth in a premade fridge shelf could be tough. is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads