Smoker quit- Can I cook these butts?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

krooz

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
South Carolina
Put two butts in the smoker at 6 yesterday evening. Apparently the smoker (MES) failed at some point and this morning the meat is 83 degrees. Is the meat safe to cook off in the oven or does it have to be tossed?

THanks

If the meat is whole and intact then I would say yes your safe to toss it into the oven. By whole and intact I mean you haven't injected it, or stuck anything into the meat while it was cooking(probing for tenderness).

Have fun and enjoy
Chris

Thanks, they're whole but I did have temp probes in both of them. MES must have quit pretty early based on the look of them...

I think I'm going to pitch them. The surface looks just dried out not cooked. Haven't seen the fam for some time wouldn't want to serve them bad meat! Will head to BJ's after church to figure out the meat side of things for this afternoon.

I think I'm going to pitch them. The surface looks just dried out not cooked. Haven't seen the fam for some time wouldn't want to serve them bad meat! Will head to BJ's after church to figure out the meat side of things for this afternoon.
If you are unsure best not to serve.

Pick up a few lbs of ground beef and make burgers. Mix some EVOO, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in with the patty meat and you’ll be getting rave reviews. Quick and easy, good in a pinch.

Reactions: catavalon21
Any idea what temp they got up to.
No idea, pretty much just looks like they didn't really cook at all. Pellets all burned up nicely though, lol. I went out late evening just to make sure there was TBS and went back to bed - should have looked at the box temp then - lesson learnt!

Well, called about picking up some pulled pork - closest place wanted 16.95 a pound - pass. Went to BJ's and got racks of Memphis style spare ribs that cook in a bag in the oven. Not ideal but it is what it is. Had a tear in my eye pitching those butts, yeah never came close 140 from the looks. Happy Father's Day everyone!

It's your call and you have to be happy with it. Here's a good read just in case it happens again.

Chris

It's your call and you have to be happy with it. Here's a good read just in case it happens again.

Chris

I hadn't seen that post by Chef JJ. Thank you for sharing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky