smoker question on "type " of smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevinnem

Original poster
Mar 4, 2020
Hi all. I have a cheap crappy offset smoker, usually use either the charcoal briquettes or sometimes charcoal "chunks". Sometimes I try to put a piece of applewood or maple ect in there. I started pretty bad, there was some stuff, quite honestly inedible. I have since improved a ton, made a lot f great ribs and 2 (1/2) briskets.

One thing I hav noticed is that "clear" smoke tastes good, but eh "white" stuff is gross. I feel like I get teh best result form just the charcoal. that adding the flavor woods makes it worse maybe, ... my flavor woods smolder, they don't burn .. my smoker is small so it has smaller firebox then most, and I think I use less coals then most as well. So .. wondering what your thoughts are on this situation.

It also leads in to my deepest question.. how do these "electric" smokers work , it seems they just take the pucks, or pellet, and smolder them to death. This seems like a really really bad situation as it seems this smoldering smoke is the gross stuff? Please educate me on this situation , cause I only have the offset smoker, so no idea what happens with the other styles.

Reactions: Will Squared
I started on charcoal and moved to a gasser and really didn't believe electric smokers could provide "legit" results but was totally surprised how well it works. No other way for me. I use an the AMNPS pellet tray but use dust. Never even used chips once in my MES. Pretty much set and forget. Pursists will cringe they better bring their A game if they want to compete with me... Other bonus points are insulated cabinet for winter smokes and cost is extremely cheap especially compared to big name offsets.

Reactions: JC in GB
Hi all. I have a cheap crappy offset smoker, usually use either the charcoal briquettes or sometimes charcoal "chunks". Sometimes I try to put a piece of applewood or maple ect in there. I started pretty bad, there was some stuff, quite honestly inedible. I have since improved a ton, made a lot f great ribs and 2 (1/2) briskets.

One thing I hav noticed is that "clear" smoke tastes good, but eh "white" stuff is gross. I feel like I get teh best result form just the charcoal. that adding the flavor woods makes it worse maybe, ... my flavor woods smolder, they don't burn .. my smoker is small so it has smaller firebox then most, and I think I use less coals then most as well. So .. wondering what your thoughts are on this situation.

It also leads in to my deepest question.. how do these "electric" smokers work , it seems they just take the pucks, or pellet, and smolder them to death. This seems like a really really bad situation as it seems this smoldering smoke is the gross stuff? Please educate me on this situation , cause I only have the offset smoker, so no idea what happens with the other styles.

In general if you are smoldering wood (charcoal, gas, electric type) then wood needs to be added in doses.
10 oz wood for brisket and butts
6 oz wood ribs
2-4 oz poultry
Is what I do on my charcoal 26 inch kettle. I also wait for blue smoke before adding the meat. I don’t have bitter flavor on my meat. Each smoker (charcoal, electric, gas) is different and you have to find the right dose of wood through experimentation. For reference 5 oz of wood is 1 fist size chunk.

For smokers that burn wood (offset and pellet) you will be running nothing but wood in those smokers. For those smokers you want thin blue or transparent smoke as much as possible. You that by preheating your splits and giving as much airflow as possible on the offset. On pellet smokers this is done automatically.

Reactions: billg78
I started with a kettle then I went to an offset... both of those are long gone and the last three smokers I’ve purchased are all electric. It’s just a heating element like an electric stove that heats under a metal box until the wood chips smoke, at the same time this heating element regulates the temp of the smoker (usually within just a few degrees of the set temperature). It has no combustion, no accelerant, and burns cleaner in my opinion. Plus it’s way easier to regulate how much smoke by how much wood you add without affecting the temp.

You are correct: if you are getting a thick white smoke, that is not good. It indicates incomplete combustion and the addition of lots of off flavors and other nasty things. You should shoot for a thin blue smoke for the best flavor. You need to ensure you have good air supply for you fire in order to accomplish this.

Electrics are built to provide enough air flow to ensure your "flavor" wood (chips, pellets, chunks, pucks, etc.) burn correctly. It is rare (though not impossible) for electric smokers to generate the incomplete combustion that causes white smoke. They are probably the easiest smokers to use out there which adds to their great appeal, and they can be used to create some mighty fine Q.

I hope I was able to answer all your questions. Let us know if you have more.

The white smoke happens when you toss in a new split and usually goes away once the wood is actually burning. A little white is no big deal for a few minutes. Like jake said prop your firebox open a little until the split actually catches.
Don't try to keep too low a temp with an offset stick burner. They tend to run hotter and cutting the airflow to try to keep 225 or something like that won't let the wood burn. You can cook at 250 to 270 just fine....
Don't blame the smoker; you've made some good stuff. It's a learning curve.
And welcome to the hobby/addiction !
:-)

Also, try piling your coals to one side of the firebox to leave yourself room to "preheat" your wood without burning it so it catches fire much easier when adding to the coals.

Also, try piling your coals to one side of the firebox to leave yourself room to "preheat" your wood without burning it so it catches fire much easier when adding to the coals.
You can pre-heat the wood just by laying it on top of the firebox. Once you've used charcoal to get your first wood burning all you need is wood after that...

Here is a good tutorial on smoke. Long but worthwhile read.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky