Smoker lost heat overnight

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dcerwin

Original poster
Jul 28, 2021
Yes, iv read through many posts on this here, and see every one is different, and hoping I didn't waste a lot of money. Not new to smoking, but not a pro either. I put a 14lb brisket on the smoker yesterday at around 6pm. Using a pitboss pro, p4 setting (automatic setting recommended for smoke, but lately it's been bugging me, since it fluctuates a bit, but 225 runs hot internal grill at around 275-300 dome). Didn't probe at 10pm because I lost my instant meat probe, and wasn't time for the wrap and probe. Overslept the alarm, and this morning at 630am, the grill was at 100, the meat at 125. It has a nice bark, but unsure how long without heat. Got it back lit in 10 minutes, 1 hour later, the meat is 135. I hate to toss, and it looked like it cooked, but hard to say. Any thoughts, other than, "don't oversleep" hehe?

Attachments

• 20210728_062746.jpg
    20210728_062746.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Yes, iv read through many posts on this here, and see every one is different, and hoping I didn't waste a lot of money. Not new to smoking, but not a pro either. I put a 14lb brisket on the smoker yesterday at around 6pm. Using a pitboss pro, p4 setting (automatic setting recommended for smoke, but lately it's been bugging me, since it fluctuates a bit, but 225 runs hot internal grill at around 275-300 dome). Didn't probe at 10pm because I lost my instant meat probe, and wasn't time for the wrap and probe. Overslept the alarm, and this morning at 6am, the grill was at 100, the meat at 125. It has a nice bark, but unsure how long without heat. Got it back lit in 10 minutes, 1 hour later, the meat is 135. I hate to toss, and it looked like it cooked, but hard to say. Any thoughts, other than, "don't oversleep" hehe?
I also saw a moderator say dm the pros for questions like this too for feedback, but saw no way to do that.

I also saw a moderator say dm the pros for questions like this too for feedback, but saw no way to do that.
For reference, set to 225, internal temp just reached 140 (0814am), dome reads 250, grill thermometer reading 273). So 1hr30mins about to 140 meat thermometer.

To message any member. Click their name or avatar. The pop up will have a Start Conversation. Click add title and text and send. The member will receive an alert.

On the Brisket, your fine. From 6pm to bedtime, the IT would have easily gotten over 140, eliminating bacteria. Finish the cook in the smoker or oven and enjoy...JJ

For reference, set to 225, internal temp just reached 140 (0814am), dome reads 250, grill thermometer reading 273). So 1hr30mins about to 140 meat thermometer.
If it is finished in the oven, what are the settings/time estimates? Never finished in an oven haha. Also would by buthernpsper
To message any member. Click their name or avatar. The pop up will have a Start Conversation. Click add title and text and send. The member will receive an alert.

On the Brisket, your fine. From 6pm to bedtime, the IT would have easily gotten over 140, eliminating bacteria. Finish the cook in the smoker or oven and enjoy...JJ
Will do, thank yall all. Will update how it goes at the end. Thanks for the advice, glad I found a good smoker forum too.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
The others covered you on the meat but fyi, the "p-setting" doesn't do anything if you have the smoker on a temp setting such as 225. It only has an effect on the "Smoke" setting.

Water rat all the controllers dont work like that i been told, mine does but others dont

Water rat all the controllers dont work like that i been told, mine does but others dont
I keeping on smoke/p4 for overnight smokes, as 225 can flare up too hot for me (250-260). But yes, it only affects "smoke" setting on mine, but I have heard some ppl csn use it on 225/250 as well. Doesn't seem to affect mine though.

I keeping on smoke/p4 for overnight smokes, as 225 can flare up too hot for me (250-260). But yes, it only affects "smoke" setting on mine, but I have heard some ppl csn use it on 225/250 as well. Doesn't seem to affect mine though.
Ahh, I see....

Investing in a wireless thermometer that has high/low temp. alarms is a great way to avoid this sort of problem.
It's on my want list for awhile hehe. My Bluetooth only has limited range.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky