Smoker Box and Wood Chips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buckeye1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 23, 2020
I have a smoker box and a bunch of chips that I used to use on the grill. Is there a way to use them on my Rec Tec to use them up.

I don't think a smoke box will work on a pellet grill.
They need a higher heat source to keep the chips burning.

Get an A-Maze-N tube.
I have a bunch of left over chips, too.
I'm going to crush them and blend with pellets for future smoke.

If you get a smoke box close enough to the crucible you'll have plenty of heat to smoke chips inside. I don't know if a RecTec makes that easy or difficult. I've used a cast iron pan filled with chips in place of the factory diverter on my Masterbuilt Vertical pellet machine. Chose bricks to set it about an inch above the crucible. Make sure it's in place when you start up though...that's when you generate the biggest fire and its easiest to get the chips started in the chip box (or fry pan!).

I think I will try putting it right next to the burner with a combination of dry and soaked chips and see what happens. Once those are gone I will go with a tube and pellets.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky