Smokehouse / firebox size

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gsuders86

Original poster
Dec 19, 2019
My plans are to build a cinderblock/cedar smokehouse. The outside dimensions will be 40"x40" 6-7' high. The inside of the smokehouse will be 24x24x32 for the cinder block and 32"x32"x40-52" for the cedar portion. I plan on putting the fire box 16" away and using a 8" square clay flue surrounded by cinder blocks. My fire box will cinder block with firebrick lining the inside. I planning on it being 24"x32"x16" on the outside and 13.5"x15.5"x16.75" on the inside. I just wanted to make sure my firebox is of adequate size for my smokehouse before I go ahead and build it.

It should be fine, you don't need a lot of fire and when hot smoking the hot fire brick does half the work after it heats up for a couple hours.

How did that work out? I am building very similar smoker and have the same question.

I've only used the smoker twice, both on days where it was in the 90's. So far the firebox is really larger than needed. I build a fire and get good coals and it only requires a stick of wood (3-4") in diameter about every 45 mins - hr. This was keeping the smokehouse at 225. I mainly built the smoker to be able to do my deer bologna and that's in Dec when temps can be in the 30's so i may need the extra fire than.

The smokehouse base is 40x40 with 3 rows of cinder blocks. Used Cedar fence pickets for the sides. The sides are 66" tall.

The inside of the firebox is 17 1/2" wide, 17 1/2" Deep and 18" High. I used a 1/4" steel plate to cover the top and than put firebricks on top of that. When the plate gets hot it expands some thus lead to some cracking. Wished I'd either used angle iron or tried to build a dome top for it.

From the firebox to the smokehouse I used a 6" clay flue. Its about 30" long. I put clay dirt in around it before making the top to help insulate it.

Attachments

• IMG_1520.JPG
    IMG_1520.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_1492.JPG
    IMG_1492.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_1562.JPG
    IMG_1562.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 175
Line all the bricks on the inside with fire brick. I didn't go all the way up and have brick joint heaving when its heats up.

The concrete roof is porous also and its always wet in there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky