SmokeFire Ex6

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Shady

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
Knoxville TN
Like most I saw most of the bad reviews when the SmokeFire hit the market but given recent sale decided to give the grill a try after seeing some if not all the issues are being fixed.
770F9ABD-A9B1-445E-AD38-EFE18FC980E6.jpeg
Upon setting up it does look like I have the newest Auger that they’ve been sending people. After powering on I let it do it’s firmware update, unfortunately there is more then one which I didn’t learn until I was already into a cook. Filled her with a combo of B&B Competition Blend and Jack Daniels pellets.
95D80103-B3E1-4350-B454-5039DE53469E.jpeg

Did a short burn in and decided to see how she handles a butt. I’ll take this time to touch on the grease fire issues personally I don’t smoke butts or anything that will produce a lot of drippings without a pan under it. This is mainly for ease of cleanup.
7E334DA6-A242-4D7A-8B6C-8B2BDC9F2B23.jpeg

Started with 2hrs of SmokeBoost (165 degrees) and then up to 225. After about 2hrs in check app and to my surprise she is down to 160. No warning, alert, alarm. I walk out with my phone and as soon as I was in BT range I notice app was updating firmware again, guess they don’t combine updates so you have to do each if your factory fresh. After a couple of shutdowns and restarts she was back to 225 and I went to bed. Got woke up at 5am with a Flame Out error, go out to check and smoker was at around 80 degrees and check hopper and while I still had pellets they weren’t falling into the auger. Filled it back up and now it’s been running for another 6hrs. I’ve cranked up the temp to 275 and also used some of my ThermoWorks proves to verify grate temp.
28D3025E-8C5C-43BB-B594-E3083B4F0061.png
Adding pan underneath and my firmware updates mid cook along with flame out has made this a long cook but good learning experience. I will be confirming with Weber that I have latest augur and order the hopper ramp to help, seems to help more on the Ex6 vs ex4.

::Update::
Weber called me back and is sending out the new ramp and welded auger.

Last edited:
After further testing with my ThermoWorks Dot and Signal I’m finding the same probe gives a 2-3 degrees difference from switching between them and the built in SmokeFire controller. I don’t find this to be a problem and seems to be something they can easily fix with a calibration option added to software/firmware.

Using the SmokeFire’s controller I found there to be a 10-15 degrees difference in what it reports as “grill” temp and a grate temp probe placed on top middle rack. Again I don’t find this problematic, their grill sensor is mounted right above bottom grate on the back of the grill and I find the variance to be acceptable, especially when using a pan on the bottom grate to catch drippings.

::Update::
After dinner I let the SmokeFire get to 225 and set another grate probe hooked up to my calibrated Dot right next to it and then in the middle of the grate. I found less of a variance from SmokeFire to Dot when the probe was in the middle vs right next to the SmokeFire Probe. Possible that the software has some sort of built in adjustment based on “known” grate variance.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcam222
Thanks for sharing the info. Will be interesting to see how your second cook goes after all the firmware updates are complete.

Thanks for sharing the info. Will be interesting to see how your second cook goes after all the firmware updates are complete.
All the firmware updates are done, I have a Brisket in the fridge thawing from the Cow we bought so that’s on the menu sometime soon.

This weekend I also went out and purchased a Smokefire ex4. I have done 3 cooks on it. Brats, then dogs, and finally some steaks. I find that it does get to 600 degrees. It did a lot of firmware updates when first set up. So far so good, I am doing a pork butt on it today. I want to see if I get bridging, and or pellet feeding issues. I’am using a drip pan under the butt. I don’t care what grill you have you need a drip pan/water tray on any low and slow cook. If you don’t you will have one heck of a mess to clean up. I do have a pitboss cabinet smoker so if this cook goes south on me at least I come prepared with a backup. I find that the smoke that comes off this grill is amazing. I am using the Weber maple hickory cherry pellets. I might switch to these pellets if they don’t jam up in my other pellet smoker. The food that comes off this grill is amazing. I am impressed so far, with the temperature range, and the flavor of the food. I didn’t buy this grill to be used as a smoker. I really just wanted a good all rounder grill, for reverse searing, hamburgers, and chicken breasts. This thing does produce a lot of ash, if you crank up the temps. I would expect that since the grill does eat pellets at high temperatures. I also expect to clean it after every cook, every pellet grill needs at least a good vacuum of the fire pot after using it. The app is ok, wished it had some graphing capabilities. However I am spoiled in that regard. I understand the frustrations of the early adopters. Spending over a thousand dollars on a grill that is plagued with many software issues, and way over hyped is always a let down. However there is a saying in the tech industry when you buy bleeding edge tech all you do is bleed. This is true for these computer driven grills, and Weber is not known as a tech company. If this grill was not on sale, and the pit-boss grills weren’t sold out at all the Lowe’s stores I would have gone with pit-boss. So far I am glad I have taken a chance with the Weber. A pellet grill that smokes and sears is an amazing grill. This grill has a few rough edges right now but if you can get past them it is an amazing grill with a lot of potential. Some people drank to much of the Koolaid, and believed all of Weber’s hype.

I find that it does get to 600 degrees.
It does get higher then 600 in some areas and does so a lot faster then I expected.
I want to see if I get bridging, and or pellet feeding issues.
I contacted Weber and they are sending me the new ramp and auger. Was real easy, have them my serial number and the error codes and they shipped me new parts.

The app is ok, wished it had some graphing capabilities.

Hopefully they will update the app more. I’ve already sent in some “request” via the apps feedback option but also wish there was someone else to get Weber’s attention. Graphing would be nice but I think the two features that they really need to add fast are a low temp warning, It’s silly that the grill will drop 100 degrees without telling me, and second is a way to add a custom “cook program”. I would love to setup a “script” that would start me off with smoke boost for 2hrs and then go to 225. Even better is give us options to alert us at set meat temps or time intervals, for spritzing/mopping, and options to automatically change temp after so many hours or when meat reaches a certain temp.

There is a timer function on the grill, and yes a low temp alarm would be nice. I just put in a PID controller I developed and built on my pit boss cabinet smoker and it will spam you with text messages when the grill goes wonky, like opening the door/lid. I like Weber’s execution of the app for most people just knowing the food temperatures is a big improvement. It is lacking features but it is simple, and Weber’s target audience is keep it simple stupid. I am sure I will experience at least one issue on this grill today, since it will be a long cook.

I have had an EX6 for a little over a week. Started off slow, did chicken thighs.....Awesome. Did pork and beef ribs over the weekend, again, awesome. Tried some strip steaks hot and fast the other night, again awesome.

I ordered from Lowes, I assembled it but I appear to have the original auger system. My understanding is many of the issues had to do with the auger reversal which happened at shutdown. That has been rectified with the firmware updates.

I find the smoke flavor to be phenomenal with this cooker. I have a pit boss Copperhead and I get more smoke flavor out of the EX6.

The app still needs some work, but I believe in Weber as a company to do the right thing, My 2004 Genesis is still humming along :)

I have had an EX6 for a little over a week. Started off slow, did chicken thighs.....Awesome. Did pork and beef ribs over the weekend, again, awesome. Tried some strip steaks hot and fast the other night, again awesome.

I ordered from Lowes, I assembled it but I appear to have the original auger system. My understanding is many of the issues had to do with the auger reversal which happened at shutdown. That has been rectified with the firmware updates.

I find the smoke flavor to be phenomenal with this cooker. I have a pit boss Copperhead and I get more smoke flavor out of the EX6.

The app still needs some work, but I believe in Weber as a company to do the right thing, My 2004 Genesis is still humming along :)
I’ll add pictures of the differences in Auger when I get the new one. Although I was doubtful it would make a difference it does seem removing the “T” finger guard does help.

I have already sent Weber the pic of my auger, and I removed the finger guard. :)
I haven't really had an issue with the feeding of pellets, so I am not going install the new pellet slide unless I have an issue. Id rather have the capacity for the pellets

Id rather have the capacity for the pellets
I don’t have my new parts yet but from what I saw it only drops hopper from 22# capacity to 20# capacity, which I believe they only advertise 20# anyhow.

My last smoke didn’t have any issues but I went out every several hours and just moved around the pellets. Although I was also using a smaller diameter pellet.

What pellet did you use? My understanding is Weber pellets are made by the same company as lumberjack.
Currently on hand I have three brands, lumberjack, B&B and Jack Daniels. JD is visually the largest followed by B&B and them LBJ. I might pick up another bag of Weber’s to compare.

I doubt I’ll pick up B&B anymore. I mainly went with them for cost ($15 for 40#). If they work with no issue I will always keep some JD on hand, I’ve used their chips and chunks for years and have always loved their smell and flavor.

Hello - Just hoping on here looking for some feedback.

I currently have a Smoke Hollow Smoketronix electric smoker (they were bought out by Masterbuilt),and also have a Weber Genesis gas grill.

I've been looking at the RecTec, Grilla Silverback, and now the SmokeFire. I was actually considering the smokefire months ago, when I saw all the dud reviews - but it looks like Weber has stepped it up.

I'm basically looking to keep my gas grill, but love using the chip box on my gas grill to add a little flavor to some things I cook - especially chicken, pizza, and some veggies, plus the electric smoker is a hassle to bring out and setup since I cant just keep it outside. I'll probably keep the electric smoker just for the cold smoking mode - but im looking for a pellet grill to do everything else that I don't put on the gas grill.

Should I consider the Smokefire again? I like that I can literally go pick it up off the shelf at my hardware store.

Another curiosity - can you turn it on and pre-heat it remotely? Meaning, can I set it up on my lunch at noon, plug it in, go back to work, and then fire it up remotely at 5:00 so it's to temp when I get home at 5:15?

Should I consider the Smokefire again? I like that I can literally go pick it up off the shelf at my hardware store.

Another curiosity - can you turn it on and pre-heat it remotely? Meaning, can I set it up on my lunch at noon, plug it in, go back to work, and then fire it up remotely at 5:00 so it's to temp when I get home at 5:15?
When you power on the grill it doesn’t automatically start heating up. So as long as you flip the switch the SmokeFire will stay on waiting for you to enter a temp and start heating up. Only wildcard is if Weber built in some sort of timeout but I can see if I can test that on mine later.

Weber has always had great customer service and stands behind their products. This is showing in their response to the bad launch of the SmokeFire. Yes pellets grills have been around a long time but they didn’t want to just do another cookie cutter smoker so they tried some stuff out and well we know what happened.
That being said, I’ve used it as low as 165 for Smoke Boost and 600 to cook burgers and such. Even with not cleaning it after every cook I’ve yet to have the grease fire scenario. Weber sent me the new ramp but I haven’t had a moment to install it. The smaller diameter pellets do seem to work better in it.

I definitely recommend the smoke fire. There are very few if any pellet grills that will go from smoke to 600 degrees in 6 minutes. My poor gas grill is no longer getting much attention, as the smoke fire does what a smoker does and then what a grill does. They have fixed a lot of issues, I did a rib off last week between my gas, charcoal, and Smokefire grill. The Smokefire made the best ribs. It also makes some awesome steaks. It is the most versatile grill in my stable. I cannot give you any feedback on the RecTek but from what I read it is a good smoker. It just will not belch fire as the SmokeFire does. It is not the perfect smoker you will have to put drip pans down if you're doing things like pork butts or brisket. However most smokers you will need to do this anyway or face one hell of a cleanup.

Last edited:
I definitely recommend the smoke fire. There are very few if any pellet grills that will go from smoke to 600 degrees in 6 minutes. My poor gas grill is no longer getting much attention, as the smoke fire does what a smoker does and then what a grill does. They have fixed a lot of issues, I did a rib off last week between my gas, charcoal, and Smokefire grill. The Smokefire made the best ribs. It also makes some awesome steaks. It is the most versatile grill in my stable. I cannot give you any feedback on the RecTek but from what I read it is a good smoker. It just will not belch fire as the SmokeFire does. It is not the perfect smoker you will have to put drip pans down if you're doing things like pork butts or brisket. However most smokers you will need to do this anyway or face one hell of a cleanup.
I can’t agree more, I’ve yet to fire up my Kamado Grill since getting the SmokeFire. You will eat through pellets any temp above 300 or at least it feels like it does but stick with something like Lumber Jack pellets and at $8ish per 20lb bag it’s not too bad. Definitely easier to reuse a previous cooks pellets then it is to reuse charcoal.

I have a kamado and it is the second most versatile grill. It is a battleship it holds it‘s set temp, but try getting it from smoke to 700 degrees takes an hour. Love cooking rotisserie chicken on the kamado does a great job!

When you power on the grill it doesn’t automatically start heating up. So as long as you flip the switch the SmokeFire will stay on waiting for you to enter a temp and start heating up. Only wildcard is if Weber built in some sort of timeout but I can see if I can test that on mine later.

Weber has always had great customer service and stands behind their products. This is showing in their response to the bad launch of the SmokeFire. Yes pellets grills have been around a long time but they didn’t want to just do another cookie cutter smoker so they tried some stuff out and well we know what happened.
That being said, I’ve used it as low as 165 for Smoke Boost and 600 to cook burgers and such. Even with not cleaning it after every cook I’ve yet to have the grease fire scenario. Weber sent me the new ramp but I haven’t had a moment to install it. The smaller diameter pellets do seem to work better in it.

Almost a year later, I am a SmokeFire owner. I picked it up a month and a half ago - and so far I use it 3-4 times a week. It's a great unit, I havent touched my gas grill or my electric smoker since.

Reactions: chopsaw and mike243
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky