Smoked Wings fail

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've tried the low method, then cranking them up to 350. The problem I had with that method is, to prevent them from drying out, you can't really get as much smoke on them as I'd like. You seem to have to end the low temp smoking time period too soon.

I also tried the low smoke method until almost completely done, then transfer to my grill at high temps. That definitely works better, IMO. But then the process gets a bit more complicated.

I recently tried the baking powder method, and liked it quite a bit! It allows maximum time at low temps, thus more smoke flavor.
Season them with baking powder added to rub let sweat. Then slightly refreeze them before putting on low smoke till almost done spritzing often. Then toss them on a screaming hot grill till crispy, toss in sauce then back on grill to set sauce.

I wouldn't blame the time (or lack thereof) they spent on the hot grill. I think you just spent too much time at too low a temp. Low and slow just doesn't give good skin (although a water pan can help.) I just never cook chicken at under 275F anymore and usually get the skin I like.

Although I'm tempted to try the baking powder trick. From this site:
"Baking powder, not to be mistaken with baking soda, is a leavening agent usually used in baked goods such as cookies and cakes. It’s a mixture of sodium bicarbonate, cream of tartar and cornstarch. When mixed with salt and coated on chicken it dries out the skin, leaving it crisp and crunchy...It happens because the addition of the baking powder raises the pH level in the chicken, allowing the peptide bonds in the skin to break down, thus letting the skin get more crisp and brown...Baking powder that contains “sodium aluminum sulfate” has a bitter taste to some people. If you notice this flavor, you’ll want to try a different brand of baking powder. The Rumford brand is aluminum-free..."

Reactions: Marknmd and tallbm
I love doing wings. I do a buttermilk/salt brine overnight, add my rub the next day & go 275, sauce them, place on wire racks (over a foiled cookie sheet) & under the broiler in the oven for a few minutes.

Crisps the skin up nice as well as caramelizes the sauce.

Reactions: bill1
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky