Smoked Whole Alligator! Long Read... but Pics!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Wow, what a great read and nice pictures. I only had fried gator bites once at a seafood restaurant, they were good. It kind of reminded me of a cross between chicken and scallops.

Out of curiosity, when you saved the meat, why did you save the head? Is anything edible on it?

Or can you take it to work and put it in the employee fridge...It probably works better than writing your name on the bag! Nobody is stealing that lunch!!

Thanks! and scallops is a great comparison actually! better than frog legs for profile.

The head will be made into a paper weight by my friend's wife. I keep the feet. Will figure out something.

the employee fridge is a great plan!

That's awesome right there... I don't care what anybody says... Did you think the finished temp (170) was a good one ??

Might have to see if everybody/anybody is up for this at the S. Fl. Gathering in Dec.... https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...gathering-december-6th-8th-sebring-fl.285638/

(I'll give the cen tex gathering a plug over there) ...

170 was just what i found to be most common when I looked online iirc. I thought it was good. not dry except the tip of tail.

Plug away! The S. Fl. Gathering better have one in there! :emoji_wink:***

*** a gator... at the cookout (ded and on the smoker that is). Not a plug in the thread :emoji_laughing:

Working on it.

Now on to that thread. Holy Frigg'n gator, Excellent cook and tutorial my man. I was working these last few days(12hr shifts) so I'm now just seeing this post. I'm impressed with your skill. That looks Dynamite!!!.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRxKj2o_hKY

Point for sure.
Chris

:emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

Man, even though that pre-dates me originally, it was still around and that triggered some cereal eating memories haha!

I know we discussed the PBBE pic recreation (that is still coming btw...) but this was another good way to break it in I think. Was a lot of fun and learned a LOT so I had to put it out there for future reference so it could potentially help someone, including myself. I will be doing this again at some point. Be careful with that 'skill' word, this was mostly luck :emoji_wink:

So, for the leftovers, I have some ideas. Mostly Gumbo. Not sure how it'll reheat for just straight consumption. Anyone have a favorite gumbo recipe or leftover gator recipe? Thanks in advance.

I'll pull my recipe when I get back off the road.
But I'll tell ya the two keys to a good Gumbo, a great Roux and File powder.
Without those it ain't Gumbo.
Looking forward to it! I figure there are some awesome recipes on here and you'd pop in. Thanks in advance!

As a registered Coonass, hats off to you for even trying this. Well done! Gator can be a difficult cook to pull off on a pit. I rarely see it around here except for tailgating @ LSU vs. Florida games. But I gotta be honest- for $200 I'd rather spend it on a prime rib roast.....I guess as a local, gator just isn't all that special to me; and I have eaten it quite a lot.

I'll second the gumbo for the left-overs. Would make a great addition to a seafood gumbo, especially the dark meat on the legs and around the neck.

As a registered Coonass, hats off to you for even trying this. Well done! Gator can be a difficult cook to pull off on a pit. I rarely see it around here except for tailgating @ LSU vs. Florida games. But I gotta be honest- for $200 I'd rather spend it on a prime rib roast.....I guess as a local, gator just isn't all that special to me; and I have eaten it quite a lot.

I'll second the gumbo for the left-overs. Would make a great addition to a seafood gumbo, especially the dark meat on the legs and around the neck.

Thank you!

Yeah for the cost it is a one off or rare item but I had to do it once! If I could source it cheaper, it'd be a more common item for sure. So delicious.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky