Smoked turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinsmoker23

Original poster
May 31, 2014
Hi everyone,
So I plan on smoking 2 turkey (18LB approx.). I usually use apple but no one has any so I got some mesquite, what was available. I dont want to over smoke it or give it to much smoke cuz I know it's a stronger wood then apple.
I plan on cooking at about 325-350 on a charcoal offset smoker so any suggestions on how long as far as the smoking part. I'm thinking either like 1 hour straight smoking and rest with no smoke or smoke off and on throughout cook time.
I just don't want to over due it on the birds.
Thanks all for any feedback.

My wife and I are mesquite fans, but the trick is to use HALF as much as you would any other wood. In my WSM, if I usually load 6-8 chunks of anything other than mesquite, including hickory, I'll only use 3 chunks of mesquite. You get great wood flavor without the piney edge that turns most people off to mesquite.

Reactions: tallbm and wade
Mesquite has a very strong flavor, be careful not to over smoke the bird. If possible try it on some chicken to see if you like it before doing the TG bird.

Chris

I think wood preference is a somewhat regional thing. Mesquite being a Southern/West Coast thing and apple being Midwest/NW. Good idea to dial it down but I'd probably source something less aggressive if there are girls eating.

Go easy. My Wife can't even stand the smell of burning Mesquite. Are there no wooded areas or hard wood logs for sale near you? Oak or Maple are common and tasty. Even places like Lowes, sometimes, has Oak and Maple wood board and dowels. How about a nearby Apple or Fruit Orchard. Neighbors with fruit trees? Good luck...JJ

Mesquite has a lot of creosote in the smoke. I used a brown paper grocery sack to smoke turkeys when all that I had was mesquite. Good smoky flavor and the bag helped filter the creosote.

Thanks for all feedback, I managed to find some apple wood. I still may use a pinch of the mesquite to throw in with apple wood but haven't decided.

Go easy on any smoke you use, even if its apple and cherry, turkey is very delicate and you can kill a bird with to much smoke. Just my 2 cents there tho. I run everything wide open and screamin hot 350 range

I’ll be doing the same. But with 1 13 lb Turkey and Using Traegers Turkey Blend Pellet kit (oak, hickory, maple mix) and on a Camp Chef Pro smoker. Like you, Im also curious on smoking times. The box on the pellet kit says 2 hours on smoke and then ~2-3 hours on 350 setting or until 165 in thigh. Seems low to me. Other issue is its gonna be only a high of 23 where i live which may affect the cook time.

Attachments

• E2FC322C-FB52-469E-BFF2-327DE7E2A382.jpeg
    E2FC322C-FB52-469E-BFF2-327DE7E2A382.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 5
Thanks I agree. Il have more then one digital probe in the guy to be sure.
Does anyone use a basting tray with broth and butter/seasoning along side the bird to baste the brined turkey.. or is this not necessary after a overnight brining?

Yes, 165F breast and I like 180F-ish in thigh. No basting required, works against you for good skin. IMO basting is total BS. Injecting/brining is the real deal. Sorry Grandma... :)

Reactions: T2timmy
I don't baste as my family especially my wife likes crispy skin.

Chris

Brining is recommended by most. I usually just inject and smoke it on the grate of my WSM. It's basically a personal preference and what works for you and your equipment.

Chris

+1; Injecting wastes less, faster, and more control so that's what I do but had great results brining too. Until you get used to either, take it easy and watch your salt... Heads up: fine (table) and course (Kosher) are NOT the same in volumes. Turkey cannon looks like a fancy beer can chicken type doodad and I call BS on that. Have not seen it mentioned here but I much prefer to at least spatchcock or preferably halve for even cooking.

Thanks for more input. Ive smoked turkey before and Im pretty careful about how much smoke I give it as well as any other thing I smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky