Smoked Sunday Roast & Yorkshire Pudding

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA

Greetings!​

My favorite time of year for comfort food is here and I saw a YouTube video of a food truck in England that was making Sunday Roast burritos with Yorkshire pudding wrap. I really want to try that, but decided to go with more of a traditional British dish with a bit of a Merica twist doing it on the smoker. It was the best roast I’ve personally done and a lot of fun. This is obviously usually done in Dutch oven or slow cooker, but the Smokey flavors this way were awesome. So, here’s the recipe and what I did!

Ingredients

• 3-4 lb. chuck roast
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp smoked or sweet paprika
  • 4 cups beef stock
  • 1 cup dry red wine
  • 4-5 sprigs of thyme
  • 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 4-5 large carrots, peeled and cut into 2-3 inch pieces
  • 1 leek washed and trimmed
  • Cup or a Few handfuls of mushroom, I used maitake
  • 12 ish washed, unpeeled red potatoes
  • 3 tbsp beef tallow (bacon grease or neutral oil would work)
  • 4 tbsp cornstarch or however you do gravy.

Instructions​

• Get smoker sitting at 275° I used oak.
  • Trim chuck roast of any super fatty areas on the outside of the roast.
  • Combine spices: salt, pepper, garlic powder, brown sugar and paprika. Then season the beef. I wish I had done this night before.
  • Once smoker is ready throw on the beef.
  • When the beef was around 100 IT, Fire up the flattop and place aluminum pan or whatever you’ll braise the beef in on it to get hot.
  • Heat tallow in the pan on flattop.
  • When tallow hot, add the veggies and cook to fragrant. Then the wine, scraping up all of the browned bits on the bottom.
  • Cook wine for about 1 minute, then add beef stock, thyme sprigs and Worcestershire sauce. Let low simmer until beef is ready.
  • Pull beef when IT is about 165 and set in braise liquid. Include any juices from drip pan. making sure the liquid doesnt cover beef. You just need to have enough liquid to come about halfway up the meat. If you need more liquid, add more beef stock.
  • Spread potatoes and carrots around the beef and COVER with foil. Place back in smoker, or you could do oven at this point, for 2ish to 3ish hours, depending on when beef is fall apart.
  • Make gravy the way you make it with leftover braise liquid after veg and beef removed, but keep the mushrooms in.
  • Optional: I used a ricer to mash the roast potatoes. Red potatoes aren’t ideal for this, but I don’t mind the resulting texture!
Yorkshire pudding: Before you season the beef prepare the batter to let sit and rest for at least 30 minutes. Everything I read said the longer the batter rests the better.

Ingredients
  • 3 large eggs
  • ¾ cup whole milk
  • ¾ cup all-purpose flour
  • ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
  • About ¼ cup beef tallow
Directions:
  • Whisk together eggs, milk, flour and salt. Do not overmix. Allow the batter to rest at least 30 minutes at room temperature while you are doing everything else for roast.
  • About the time your beef is almost done, about 200 IT and almost fall apart, preheat an oven to 400 degrees.
  • Add a teaspoon of fat to each cup of a 12-cup muffin tin and transfer to the oven to heat, about 5 to 7 minutes, get fat smoking hot.
  • Then pull from oven and divide batter equally to fill the cups about halfway, and return the muffin tin for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the puddings are golden brown and crisp.
Hopefully the puddings are done about the time you’re shredding the beef. Place puddings on plate, top with carrots, potatoes, beef and gravy. Sprinkle some fresh thyme on top!

Season the beef. I used Wagyu tallow for a binder.
1A83EEDF-2BD8-4C3B-B317-6FDDFAFA71C9.jpeg

Getting BelFab fired up.
8319FA8D-2B45-4C22-827D-09B641F22536.jpeg

Pudding batter resting.
D0A8EE25-4310-4363-8D63-602075AD3300.jpeg

Braise liquid simmering.
CEDBD562-6A09-4DB2-8C8D-2280644F693C.jpeg

My Buddy helping control the Temp. He’s a pyro, I encourage it🤣
FD7E9FA3-B31B-4057-B245-E6EA2915D7F6.jpeg

Flattop with braise holding beef with 165 IT, pulled from smoker.
D39599BD-33E5-4E41-927D-F24809E71E8C.jpeg

Beef nestled into simmering braise liquid before covering and returning to 275 smoker!
4136506B-31E5-4B17-9DD1-26372FFECF46.jpeg

These puddings came out about when the beef was done. Not perfect, but my first attempt!
F406BD95-E1E3-46D9-A7F4-E75C3520620F.jpeg

Plated! Tasted amazing!
4CE216A3-8F96-4C72-9B0D-96E7719C2CB3.jpeg

53372B8C-0BAC-4730-8CB1-6D9DC1DF7FF3.jpeg

There you have it! Very traditional dish that most of us grew up on, but fun to do a different way without a pressure cooker! The smoke added a whole new layer of flavor to a roast. To me, including a hearty fresh mushroom in the braise is also an added umami bomb that elevates it a couple notches.

Thank you for your time!

Attachments

• 930FC8CA-81FB-4208-8DD1-33DE491910B7.jpeg
    930FC8CA-81FB-4208-8DD1-33DE491910B7.jpeg
    239 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Hot Damn that looks good! Love the twists you added in rather than just an ole crock pot roast. Another one of your cooks bookmarked now. Killing it man!

Reactions: bauchjw
That looks amazing! I can see it coming...Jed's Food Coma Cookbook! Cuz that's what I'd have after that meal!

Ryan

Man that looks so delicious. Love a traditional pot roast so I can only imagine how much the flavor elevates adding smoke to it. I'll definitely be trying this in the future. Great post!

Nicely done and nice write up Jed. With winter around the corner, this dish will be making the list.

Point for sure
Chris

Now thats a meal I could belly up to .. been raining here off and on for 4 days .

Looks great , nothing wrong with being the first York puddings.
Always nice to have a helper tend the fire, lol

Beautiful shots of the meal

David

Great looking meal. I also have thought about putting a couple of hours of smoke to a pot roast before putting with the veggies and braise liquid. Now you convinced me that I need to do it post haste.
And you better watch out....The little pit boss will be relegating you to beer drinking and staying out of the way position if ya aint careful. Love seeing the little ones involved.
Jim

Hot Damn that looks good! Love the twists you added in rather than just an ole crock pot roast. Another one of your cooks bookmarked now. Killing it man!
Thank you Sir! I’m trying to make up for a few months of absence🤣
That looks amazing! I can see it coming...Jed's Food Coma Cookbook! Cuz that's what I'd have after that meal!

Ryan
Thank you Ryan! I’m a big fan of food comas this time of year🤣
Man that looks so delicious. Love a traditional pot roast so I can only imagine how much the flavor elevates adding smoke to it. I'll definitely be trying this in the future. Great post!
Thank you! Highly recommend it, a lot of fun with new flavors!
Nicely done and nice write up Jed. With winter around the corner, this dish will be making the list.

Point for sure
Chris
Thank you Chris! You won’t regret it, perfect for cold, wet, lazy day!
Now thats a meal I could belly up to .. been raining here off and on for 4 days .

Looks great , nothing wrong with being the first York puddings.
Always nice to have a helper tend the fire, lol

Beautiful shots of the meal

David
Thank you David! He’s working up to being a big help!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Great looking meal. I also have thought about putting a couple of hours of smoke to a pot roast before putting with the veggies and braise liquid. Now you convinced me that I need to do it post haste.
And you better watch out....The little pit boss will be relegating you to beer drinking and staying out of the way position if ya aint careful. Love seeing the little ones involved.
Jim
Thank you Jim, works great! It’s how I was doing the Birria and loved it!

Yes, he’s a big helper so far! He Even likes cleaning🤣
32D923F0-8673-4E01-9B77-5A0756871CA5.jpeg
A76CDE61-69D8-4EBC-82BE-8EC38AA16FCE.jpeg
26FDED37-20D0-46B2-8C8A-D516B1177A9D.jpeg

Thank you Sir! I’m trying to make up for a few months of absence🤣

I hear ya man. Got several months to make up for as well. Finally have a little time now that the weather is cooling down. Got a couple yard birds in the smoker as we speak while I am supposed to be working :emoji_laughing:.

• Haha
Man that looks good and I just bought a chuck for the 50 hour sous vide but may have to change direction. A British friend of mine gave me a good recipe for yorkshire pudding. I will have to try to find.

Holy cow Jed!
That looks amazing!
Cooked to perfection, it’s obvious that You have this recipe down.
Bookmarked, & thanks for posting the recipe!
Al

wow, does that look amazing!! thanks so much for sharing it and it's super that you have a great young helper!!
Thank you Sir! I appreciate you time and compliments! He is awesome and always wants to be doing whatever I am💪 He wants a chainsaw or excavator for Christmas🤣
Man that looks good and I just bought a chuck for the 50 hour sous vide but may have to change direction. A British friend of mine gave me a good recipe for yorkshire pudding. I will have to try to find.
Thank you brian! I’d be curious what his recipe was! I definitely didn’t nail that part of the cook🤣 I’m just dipping my toe into baking.
Holy cow Jed!
That looks amazing!
Cooked to perfection, it’s obvious that You have this recipe down.
Bookmarked, & thanks for posting the recipe!
Al
Thank you Al! I appreciate the very big compliment!
Jed.. that is just wow!
Thank you Jeff, I appreciate your time!
Jed that is perfection!!!!

PS, I have a few smokers that need a good vacuum....
🤣Thank you Civil! He needs to make some money to pay for all the heavy equipment he wants….front loaders aren’t cheap🤣 we may be able to arrange something!
Good looking grub, those corelle plates, my mom had them bad dudes 45 years ago! And the helper looks like he is all set for Ash Wednesday
🤣 Thank you Sir! Yes, my wife found those plates a while ago and they reminded her of diner at Oma’s….so, now we have them!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky