smoked simple syrup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bangster

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 23, 2017
Haven't posted here in years, still using my Traeger pellet pooper at least once a week, 6-10 times a month, year around.

For a number of reasons, my current go to beverage is an old fashioned. Between no more soda (I know, the sugar in the syrup is the same), intermittent fasting (only eating/drinking from 10am to 6 pm) and good selection of bourbons and ryes, been stuck on them.

I have gotten down recipes for most bourbons and variations of bitters, but have just been using home made 2:1 simple syrup.

What is that on my smoker? A pan of ice?
49606741091_48a0925b70_b.jpg

49606232203_b8584f57a0_b.jpg

shoot, it didn't remain ice, all I have left is water
49606232318_af8afe861d_b.jpg

has a nice smoky smell and color!
49606232823_f6f595e9bb_b.jpg

add same amount (1:1) raw granulated sugar (I didn't spring for the demerara or turbinado sugar, but might next time)
49606994442_89948b8ce1_b.jpg

And can add smoke simple syrup to my lineup! I also did some with brown sugar, bleached processed sugar (clear, for some things that end up clear), and orange infused.
49607108927_a4d87fec75_b.jpg

next up, actual smokey ice cubes, if I can get clarity up a bit without a $50 contraption
49369831211_ec7a427ef7_b.jpg

All in the quest for the best of this (and this isn't the best combo, but not bad):
49609283796_ef04bff745_b.jpg

My parents used to drink Old Fashioned with the bitters and bourbon, I remember my dad dumping a bunch of sugar into the bitters bottle. No bitters, no soda pop, no ice. RAY
DSCN1598.JPG

Love this idea. I figured you'd put the syrup in the smoker once it was already made--this route is really innovative and I bet makes a better end product!

I think starting with ice has more surface area, I started with 2 cups of ice (which won't make 2 cups of water, what my target was) and added another cup after 45 minutes. Total time of 2 hours. I should have used the smoke setting instead of 180.

I didn't think that the sugar would take on smoke, I have done sugar coated lemons and the lemon was smokey but not the sugar. I will probably do sugar dry in a pan and water in another pan side by side next time.

Mess wise working with water in the pan made cleanup simpler, I...didn't need to. Since I only use them for smoking it can have a layer of smoke on it for next time (but I did rinse it).

I did a very detailed cleaning of the smoker (inside top and ashes) to cut down on solids in the water, and it was very clear, no debris. I see the Traeger brand smoked syrup has bits in it, but it is also flavored. Not ready to spend $14 on 2 cups of syrup, probably have $3 in pellets and sugar to do 3 cups worth. Next time along side it I will do some sugar fruit for lemonade/lemon drinks.

Reactions: tander28
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky