Smoked shotgun shells, try #2!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbnice1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
I made these last year and they were good but the shell was pretty chewy. Also the sticky bbq glaze was not as good as I thought it would be. So we are going to change it a little. First, change I added a lot more seasoning into the meat. Second, is no glaze. This way you can dip it in whatever you want plus hopefully is will store better since its not so sticky. lol. Third, I pre-boiled my pasta for 5 minutes. Im on the fence on this one. Originally I was just going to soak it in water for 10 - 60 minutes. So this may not work.....

So on to the cook!
First the ingredients. Brisket trimmings, breakfast pork sausage, fresh cheddar, bacon!

Attachments

• IMG_6990.jpg
    IMG_6990.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 38
Ground all the trimmings but only 1 pound was used. The other 3 pounds will go back in the freezer for later use.

Attachments

• IMG_6991.jpg
    IMG_6991.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6992.jpg
    IMG_6992.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6993.jpg
    IMG_6993.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6996.jpg
    IMG_6996.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 21
Next mix 1 pound of groung beef, 1 pound sausage, bunch of SPG with some season salt, and a bunch of cheese.

Attachments

• IMG_6997.jpg
    IMG_6997.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 24
Then stuffed the noddles and wrapped with bacon. Still havent figured out the best way to do this. I did by hand the first time and that sucked. This time I used a pastry bag, it worked better. Im thinking next time maybe use my jerky gun with the sausage attachment on in.

Attachments

• IMG_6998.jpg
    IMG_6998.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 30
We have fire.... She's running a bit hot so need to let it burn down some but still cant believe how little wood this thing takes to create temps. Just a fyi those splits are 6"-8" long

Attachments

• IMG_6999.jpg
    IMG_6999.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7001.jpg
    IMG_7001.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: bigfurmn
Pulled at 150f. Im letting them rest a bit then bumping the smoker up to 275-325f for a bacon crisp finish. Last time I just basted with sauce and rotated and ended up with chewy bacon and pasta and dried out stuffing. so hoping for better. LOL.

Attachments

• IMG_7002.jpg
    IMG_7002.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 31
God knows I have ridden along and watched enough other peoples cooks. lol

Just sharp cheddar this time. Last time I tried a mix but the other stuff just melted out.

Looks great, and have thought about doing this a few times , just always wondered about the noodle drying out

So the answers to this time , like asked by Tom bigfurmn bigfurmn . How was the noodle where you preboiled a bit

Thanks

David
Noodles were about perfect. They did dry out a little bit so it wasnt like a noodle you took right out of boiling water, but they were cooked through do not super chewy. I was very happy with the results. The bacon was also cooked through. It was not sure crunchy but it was done.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky