Smoked pumpkin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You have my curiosity going. How did it turn out? I'm not a fan of pumpkin, but I'd bet it would make an interesting soup! (Or even an interesting pie?!)

Hey all, the smoked pumpkin soup was an interesting recipe. I used the recipe from the Washington post, by Smoke Signals columnist Jim Shahin
[h5]Ingredients[/h5]
          For the soup
  • 1 medium (about 4 pounds) pumpkin
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 medium shallot, minced
  • 5 cups no-salt-added chicken broth
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground allspice
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • For the rum cream
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • Finely grated zest and freshly squeezed juice from 1/2 lemon (1/4 teaspoon zest and 1/2 teaspoon juice)
  • 3 tablespoons good-quality dark rum
  • Sugar
it was ok but a bit bland IMO, so I ended up adding 1 tsp ground ginger(fresh would've been better), and a tsp curry

in all fairness to the recipe, I believe my pumpkin was more like 6lbs, and it was a white pumpkin rather than regular, so flavor may have been better. The smoke flavor from the pumpkin was a good addition.

However, it went great with a grilled ham and pepperjack sammy.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky