Smoked Pulled Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hecXCV

Original poster
May 15, 2022
I'm going to be smoking some chicken for pulled chicken and have no idea where to start. I've seen people do whole chickens, some people do boneless breasts, some people do breast and thighs. Any advice or tips?

I like boneless breasts and thighs for convenience.
I once weighed out the waste, and the boneless breasts cost (me) about 30% more, thighs maybe 40% … but I do like the whole birds when I’m making for the dogs (I include the skin) or debone ahead to use to make stock.

Reactions: hecXCV and JLeonard
I'm going to be smoking some chicken for pulled chicken and have no idea where to start. I've seen people do whole chickens, some people do boneless breasts, some people do breast and thighs. Any advice or tips?
I'm in the whole bird camp as well. Price is good plus you can get a mix of white and dark meat in the shred.

I would brine (and even add cure#1 for out of this world flavor), or inject it before smoking.

Also if you do 1 bird you may as well do 2. It will give you plenty meat that you can eat on and make many dishes out of all week and/or you can seal the left overs/extras for all kinds of meals later.

I'd also highly recommend you get a pair of these vertical chicken racks.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096ZH2ZP...lja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

I don't believe they NEED to have a can to use them. A pair of these in a pan with your chickens on them and you are good to go for getting the best smoked/roasted chickens for pulling or carving (too small for turkeys though). You'll collect all the juices, there will be lots, AND keep everything clean :)

I hope this info helps :)

Reactions: hecXCV and JLeonard
Another one for whole bird, you'll have a mixture of white and dark that way. I'd eat the wings and pull the rest...

Reactions: hecXCV
Often hind quarters are on sale. Dark meat is much more forgiving, if you go over temp on chicken breast it will be as dry as the Sahara. Often when chicken breasts are on sale they're large. That's cause they are old tough laying hens and not a young tender broiler.

Thanks for all the advice. I couldn't find a whole bird at our grocery store; we live in a real rural area and can barely find anything ever haha. But, I did mix dark and light meat and have everything in the smoker now. I'll update on how it turns out!

Thanks for all the advice. I couldn't find a whole bird at our grocery store; we live in a real rural area and can barely find anything ever haha. But, I did mix dark and light meat and have everything in the smoker now. I'll update on how it turns out!

Looking forward to your report. Don't forget the pics....

JC :emoji_cat:

I think it turned out pretty good. My husband wanted me to try some smoked lemon pepper chicken. He said it was amazing.

I brined the chicken for an hour, seasoned it with garlic powder, onion powder, season all, old bay, smoked paprika, and Reload Fully Loaded. Had it in the smoker at 200° for about 5 ours. After it was shredded I added Tipsy Roo’s Bourbon BBQ sauce.

Attachments

• 37491DB7-8C59-4304-BE46-FA657EA50633.jpeg
    37491DB7-8C59-4304-BE46-FA657EA50633.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 30023E10-E8B0-4799-9ECB-7E2280658ABD.jpeg
    30023E10-E8B0-4799-9ECB-7E2280658ABD.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
I think it turned out pretty good. My husband wanted me to try some smoked lemon pepper chicken. He said it was amazing.

I brined the chicken for an hour, seasoned it with garlic powder, onion powder, season all, old bay, smoked paprika, and Reload Fully Loaded. Had it in the smoker at 200° for about 5 ours. After it was shredded I added Tipsy Rooster’s Bourbon BBQ sauce.

Yum! Nice cook, that is some top notch Q right there! Those spices used sound very tasty! I might have to look into that sauce… never heard of it… but sounds tasty!

Reactions: JLeonard
I had a typo in my post. It’s Tipsy Roo’s. But yes, try it! They have a Peach Rum version too.

Thanks! I will have to check them both out! Your going to help me spend my $$ too!?! 😂

Your Dad JLeonard JLeonard already made me buy a griddle and accessories… 🤣

Not sure I can afford to hang out you all anymore! 😉

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky