Smoked Pot Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Preacher Man

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 28, 2018
Where The River Runs Through It
Found chuck roasts for $1.99/lb, so I bought 5 roasts ranging from 5-7 lbs.
IMG_20190110_214027.jpg

About 11 a.m. I got a hankering for pot roast. It was always my dad's go-to dish for Sunday dinners and I hadn't had one in years.

Sprinkled a 7 pounder with SPOG and a little paprika.
IMG_20190115_113952.jpg

I knew I was going to be pressed for time, so I couldn't go as low and slow as normal. Cranked my MES 30 up to Max (275°) and filled my Amazen Tube with a mix of oak and mesquite.

Meanwhile, I headed to the brewery for a cold one with a friend. It was a Tropical IPA. Not bad, but I should've stuck with my regular Smoke Chaser Porter.
IMG_20190114_160922.jpg

Came home right as my tube was sending out its last puffs of smoke, about 4 hours. So I took it inside and laid it on top of a bed of carrots, onions, taters, and celery. I added a cup of garlic broth and a few dashes of worcestershire. The IT was 158° at this point.
IMG_20190115_162526.jpg

Supper was in 3 hours, so I covered it and cranked the oven to 380°. In about 3 hours it was tender at 208°. While resting, my daughter wanted to saute up some garlic cauliflower.

Supper was delicious!
IMG_20190115_192813.jpg

Afterwards, I collected all the juice and made au jus a la Bearcarver Bearcarver . I've never injected a brisket, but anyone care to guess what I'm doing with my next brisket?
IMG_20190116_175907.jpg

Fine looking meal you got right there.

Point for sure.
Chris

That is a hell of a deal on chuck roast nice score! Supper looks great
Thanks. However, I think I might have to say that the highlight of the meal was my kid's garlic cauliflower. That kid can seriously cook!

That's what I thought on the price! I have found more deals on meat at my local Albertson's than anywhere else. Just last week I scored a 9 lbs bone in pork butt for $.49/lb.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Now that is a great looking meal.
Nice cook on that Chuckie.
And what a steal price wise.
Like!

Will be watching for the Brisket.
Thanks Chile!

Hopefully that brisket will be happening soon. But I seem to be having this problem. You see, I think I like smoking more than I like eating, so I tend to smoke things faster than I can eat them. As a result, I have a freezer/fridge that's plum full of stuff that needs to be eaten.

Maybe I should have a good ol' fashioned "leftovers day" like my grandma used to do when she would clean out her freezer/fridge. She'd invite all the family over to pretty much potluck their meals with whatever she had reheated.

Thanks Chile!

Hopefully that brisket will be happening soon. But I seem to be having this problem. You see, I think I like smoking more than I like eating, so I tend to smoke things faster than I can eat them. As a result, I have a freezer/fridge that's plum full of stuff that needs to be eaten.

Maybe I should have a good ol' fashioned "leftovers day" like my grandma used to do when she would clean out her freezer/fridge. She'd invite all the family over to pretty much potluck their meals with whatever she had reheated.
Sounds like you need to invite a bunch of family and friends for a BBQ Bash.

What a coincidence? I bought a small but nice chuck roast yesterday. Going to throw it on the Yoder after while. Your's sure looks good Preacher! Point!

Holy crap, meat prices like that I would have to get another freezer just for the uncooked/smoked meats.
Great looking meal .

I haven't seen that price on chuckies in over two years. A great big like for the pics and the smarts to load the freezer. I'm headed to the store shortly. We'll see what the local price is on chuck roast at my discount grocer.

I love the look of this. Kudos on a beautiful beef! Big like!
Thanks Disco! It was your chili post that gave me the hankering to get this roast going.

What a coincidence? I bought a small but nice chuck roast yesterday. Going to throw it on the Yoder after while. Your's sure looks good Preacher! Point!
Marvelous! Hope it turns out good.

Holy crap, meat prices like that I would have to get another freezer just for the uncooked/smoked meats.
Great looking meal .
That's not a bad problem to have!

I haven't seen that price on chuckies in over two years. A great big like for the pics and the smarts to load the freezer. I'm headed to the store shortly. We'll see what the local price is on chuck roast at my discount grocer.
Thanks for the like! I've always wondered if the prices I found are specific to locality or if chains carry these prices throughout?

That looks awesome! Definitely some inspiration material. I've got a chuck roast I'm waiting to try, but it's been so stinking cold here every weekend (10*) that I haven't got out there yet. Nice work!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky