Smoked pork bellies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lemans

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 29, 2013
Jackson New Jersey
I saw some guy on YouTube make smoked
Pork bellies with the skin on . It looked really
Good but I have never seen them sold at my local supermarket. Is it a regional item.. I live
In jersey

Lots can be done with a pork belly. It is an actual meat cut just like any other. You will need to order one from your local meat shop or grocery store as an unsmoked belly. If you want the skin on you will need to request that as well. It can be used in many ways outside of bacon but it is rather fatty obviously so use it wisely to not induce immediate heart attacks in those consuming it lol.

I have braised it before and even deep fried it. You can roast it brine and smoke it (bacon) among many other preps for it. Good luck post some pics.

Last edited:
Have your butcher order it.  Down here we have to ask and pay the butcher to remove the skin.   Pork belly has a lot of fat (obviously) so anything you can do to enhance the flavor of the fat will help.    I've done pieces of belly low and slow on the RF with good results.  Cube it, maybe a bit of sear and mop something sweet on it.  Pork Candy is a great appetizer during the football games.

Go to a 'Meat Market'  ,  either a Neighborhood Mkt. or Try in a Large Super Mkt. . You could be luckier in the "Hood"
icon14.gif

I think I know what you're speaking of ... let us know how they were and remember the 'rules'  , 
Rules.gif
 , no Q-view , didn't happen
icon_exclaim.gif

ROTF.gif

Have fun and . . .

Lemans,

I see where you said you live in Jersey! Allot of asian markets that have a meat counter will have pork bellies, they are used quite a bit in Asian cooking.

Hi Lemans, I use a lot of Pork Bellies Skin On, we cook whole pigs, but remove the bellies up to the ribs, as the sit in the fat when cooking and stay fatty.

This is what I cooked n Sunday, Pork Bellies with Jeff's Rub on the meat side, Score skin at 1 inch intervals, chop onion, carrot & celery then into a foil tray, Sit Belly on, add any beer.

Cook low a slow between 210-250, 6-7 Hours, then remove place under a grill so skin crackles!

Sliced, its on the left, it's on a board with Brisket.

Plated ready to eat!
Smokin Monkey

Hi Lemans, I use a lot of Pork Bellies Skin On, we cook whole pigs, but remove the bellies up to the ribs, as the sit in the fat when cooking and stay fatty.

This is what I cooked n Sunday, Pork Bellies with Jeff's Rub on the meat side, Score skin at 1 inch intervals, chop onion, carrot & celery then into a foil tray, Sit Belly on, add any beer.

Cook low a slow between 210-250, 6-7 Hours, then remove place under a grill so skin crackles!

Sliced, its on the left, it's on a board with Brisket.

Plated ready to eat!
Smokin Monkey
Was that as good as it looked??

I'm going to try smoking a pork belly but I don't want to inject it with anything sweet nor do I want to brush it with anything sweet. I have a traeger & just want the basics. At what temp do I cook it & for how how long. Thanks!

I'm going to try smoking a pork belly but I don't want to inject it with anything sweet nor do I want to brush it with anything sweet. I have a traeger & just want the basics. At what temp do I cook it & for how how long. Thanks!
225 deg. till IT of 160 deg. Pull it off, crank up your grill as high as it will go, then through it back on for a quick crisp on the outside!
Keep Smokin!!!
Wolf

Last edited:
225 deg. till IT of 160 deg. Pull it off, crank up your grill as high as it will go, then through it back on for a quick crisp on the outside!
Keep Smokin!!!
Wolf

Thank you kindly for the info!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky