Smoked Monkfish For Your Saturday!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

leah elisheva

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Seacoast of New Hampshire
Happy Weekend Great Smoking Cookies!!!!!!!

Today's meal here was monkfish, and while some people refer to that as the "poor man's lobster," I don't think of it as a "second tier" fish of any kind, and adore it! Especially smoked!

While my photos weren't terrific, the taste today sure was!!!! Here's sharing some warmth and wonderful "after dinner" glow with you all therefore! Smiles.

Make your weekend delicious!!!!!!!

Cheers! - Leah

I started with fresh monkfish and some red garnet yam (yes, I know, you must be tired of seeing such, but I do eat one every day) - the potato was "started" in the microwave for 6 minutes, and then sliced...

Then I coated everything (fish and potatoes) in grapeseed oil and put that on my little gas smoker, with hickory chips for 25 minutes.

A WON-DER-FUL brown crust with deep flavor formed on the fish - fabulous contrast to the soft and moist inside when cutting in - and I put this over salad...

And yes, for anyone just now seeing one of my posts for the first time, I eat A LOT of salad! Smiles. (That probably would feed two families normally, I suppose)...

With chopped parsley, chopped raw elephant garlic, olive oil, squeezed fresh limes, and cayenne pepper, this really was fantastic!!!

And so, simple aside, it was healthful and really lovely (or so in my mad-cow, or "mad-monkfish" tainted opinion I do believe) and so thank you for sharing in today's dinner!

Happy all!

Cheers! - Leah

Reactions: disco and mdboatbum
As soon as I saw the title of the thread I knew it was yours, Leah. As always, great color, combination, and presentation. Every time I see one of your fish posts I get a desire for some smoked fish. Looks like I'll head to the shoreline and see what's coming off the boats today. All the best to you.

Hey Geerock, thank you so much!!! I'm so thrilled you enjoyed this simple plate, as it tasted great!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

And how fantastic that you'll have a fish shopping run today!!!!!!!

I hope you find something delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!!!!!! - Leah

Another stunning meal and post. This is the epitome of fine dining. Classic but simple preparation of great ingredients served with a view to the eye. This old fat guy is impressed.

Disco

Looks great & it's a big plate! I like monkfish a lot we get ours from New Zealand but I think it's seasonal Havent seen any in a while. It's great fish,I will have a look for some when I get back to Sydney.

Hey thank you Brian!!! And for being such a sweet Cookie! Smiles.

(Funny I grew up with a mother who called everybody "Cookie" the way Zsa Zsa Gabor called everyone "Darling," and then by college age I had inherited that, without trying (yikes, we really DO turn into our parents) and I am always calling absolutely everyone (mailman, snowplow driver, spa technician, and all) a "Cookie" of some sort or another, and every now and then, when receiving QUITE the dirty look back, I realize that I can indeed be a lot to take for some, I suppose. HOWEVER, I'm delighted that such doesn't bother you! Too funny...

And yes Andrew, I'll try to pick my damn spirits up some, as I know that I must depress this whole place, right? Funny, Funny. Thanks for great words!!! It's a 26-inch paella pan and actually the same one I made my smoked lobster seafood paella in (from some smoked lobster thread way back) but not the copper/ruined one. That copper mess is now "resting" in the cellar...

Thanks tons Disco!!! I'm glad my simple menus are still enchanting in some fun way!!!!

And Mick, thanks tons! With YOUR access to fish down there (I still drool thinking about your market) I am sure you can find some fantastic monkfish indeed! Although EVERY fish you have down there - and all those exotic crabs and such - still amaze me!! You live in the land of plenty for certain!!!!

Well Happy Sunday to all you fantastic Smoked Cookies!!!!!!!!! Make today delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers! - Leah

Good day!  I am a Virgin Smoking Meat Forum chic.  If cooking could pay the bills, that's what I'd like to do for a living
439.gif
.  But alas, I will stick to being a mortician.  Yep.  I'm the healthy mortician 
jaw-dropping.gif
 who cooks a lot. 

Well, I bought some monkfish & thought I'd see if anyone had tips on smoking it since I'd never smoked monkfish before, so I stopped here.  I figured that because it's similar in texture to lobster (sort of), that I'd smoke it the same way I do that...at 225 degrees for about 30 min or until it gets to 135 degrees. 

Turns out, the fish I bought was cut up into fairly small pieces & still had the backbone in it. 
31.gif
  So I cut the backbone out, prior to smoking it & was left with little bite size pieces so it only took about 20 min. to cook through.  I was making fish tacos, so this actually worked out well. 

I basted them first with Jeff's Rib Rub + butter combination then put them into my preheated smoker. 

They took on a lovely smoke flavor that really complimented this dish & they were perfectly cooked. I arranged the taco as follows:

Paleo Wrap

Sour Cream

Four cheese combo (Kraft)

Monkfish pieces

My garden salsa

Dotted with Tapatio Hot Sauce (cheap & *awesome*)

Drizzle of an aged syrupy balsamic vinegar

I can't believe I didn't photograph them just out of the smoker but  you can see from the taco that they are nicely (lightly) barked. 

I had picked tomatoes & peppers from my garden & made a Serrano Honey-dressed Salsa with it, to put on top...

(I like sweet/hot combos, it's how I chose my hubby). 
drool.gif

I used a "Paleo Wrap" (made from coconut meat & formed into a sheet "tortilla" mmmmmm) & also made spicy "riced" cauliflower because I'm trying to watch my girlish figure by eating less simple carbs. 
tongue.gif

Thanks for confirming my thoughts on smoking this type of fish, it gave me the confidence to do it & as it happened, it was a delightful dish in the end.

This is the fish I bought from an Asian Mart "H-Mart"

This is the monkfish after I deboned it & basted it with the rub/butter.

This is my Paleo taco, dressed.

is a close up of my taco because I couldn't wait to eat it & didn't photograph the finished smoke fish, fresh out of the smoker.

This was my plated dinner, with the peppered cauliflower "rice" off to the side.  It was Yummmyyyy!!  Thanks for reading.   :)

Love this site!!!
Anastasia the mortician.

What a great idea!

Never thought about smoking Monkfish.

Once known as the poor man's lobster, Monkfish is very expensive in my area if you can even find it.

Great job with a wonderful fish!

Good luck and good smoking.

Very nice meal Leah, not sure how I missed this so far but glad I seen it ! Very cool thread ! :kewl:

Thank you Justin!! And Hey there great Anastasia!

Your monkfish looked and sounded wonderful!!! I think monkfish is tremendous indeed!

And while this video from way back when is most certainly NOT my most glamorous look, by any stretch, it was yet another fun "monkfish' meal which you might enjoy.

Happy weekend!!! Your food was fantastic!!!!!! (And come join our great "Winos" group if you like, by clicking up in the "Groups" section, as we have a great time)! Cheers!!!!!!! - Leah

Reactions: anastasia
Thank you! It was delicious!! Yours looked awesome as well. Thanks also for the Wino invite! ...it's like you know me. Lol [emoji]127863[/emoji][emoji]127864[/emoji][emoji]127866[/emoji][emoji]127867[/emoji]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky