Smoked Leg of Lamb Gyros

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fowldarr

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 26, 2013
Oregon Coast
All the recent talk about lamb got me craving gyros. Some internet research and reading in the forums, I decided to give it a go.

A trip to Costco resulted in a 4lbs Leg of Lamb

I seasoned it with:
Marjoram
Mint
Kosher Salt
Black Pepper
Thyme
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Allspice
IMG_3526.jpg

IMG_3528.jpg

IMG_3530.jpg

Rather than trimming the fat, I sliced it to get the flavor penetration. I figured like most other meats the fat cap would protect the meat and help keep it from drying out while it smoked (seemed to work)

It took about 4 hours to smoke to 140 IT. Interestingly, for a relatively small chunk of meat, I had temperature variations within the meat itself of 135-48 when I pulled it. (and the center was right at 140). So, next time I will rotate it a couple of times to try and get a nice even cook.
IMG_3536.jpg

I pulled it out and let it rest for twenty minutes while I made the tzatziki sauce (More on that in a minute)

The lamb sliced beautifully and I was able to get nice thin strips.
IMG_3545.jpg

A quick intermission for the Tzatziki sauce before we get to the final product (queue intermission music)

I'll be honest, I had no idea how to make tzatziki sauce. I'd eaten it before, but I had no idea how it was made. Luckily for us, we have a world of knowledge at our fingertips. Basic ingredients were as follows:
Plain Yogurt
Shredded cucumber
Lemon zest
Lemon juice (I probably used a little too much, so be careful)
Minced Garlic
Minced Fresh Mint
IMG_3531.jpg

Throw all the ingredients together and you get tzatziki sauce
IMG_3538.jpg

Then you dice the tomato, slice the onion and you start assembling gyros.
IMG_3543.jpg
IMG_3542.jpg
IMG_3540.jpg

About 5 hours later you too can be a Gyro Hero

As always, thanks for following along, and let me know if you have any questions

I debated back and forth, the recipe I had called for plain yogurt, and I've never been a fan of greek yogurt, so....I went with the recipe I had. It came out good. Next time, I might try it with greek yogurt though

Reactions: couger78
Good deal. Greek yogurt you have to really mix well or its a bit grainy. Hey make what you like, you are eating it.

Reactions: fowldarr
Looks fantastic!! The tzatziki is even better on day two. I use sour cream vs yogurt for my dietary preferences and still comes out great.

Reactions: fowldarr
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky