Smoked Leg of Lamb Gyros

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I was really excited about this recipe. I bought my leg of lamb at Costco, same as you, and I made it exactly how you posted. I did not stray. It did not taste anything like gyros meat. 😞 My friends did like it though and enjoyed it's flavor but we all agreed that it was no where near a gyros flavor profile. After I tasted it I made an au jus to dip it in. Had some pieces dipped in au jus and some dipped in my tzatziki sauce. Overall it worked out with a little add in of the au jus and was almost all gone by the end of the night.

Were you expecting it to taste like the gyro meat that gets shaved off the rotisserie at a mediterranean restaurant? If so that is actually lamb and beef all ground up, seasoned ,then pressed back together ready to go onto the rotisserie. These are actual lamb qyros which certainly won't taste like the combo you are probably used to.

Reactions: HalfSmoked
Were you expecting it to taste like the gyro meat that gets shaved off the rotisserie at a mediterranean restaurant? If so that is actually lamb and beef all ground up, seasoned ,then pressed back together ready to go onto the rotisserie. These are actual lamb qyros which certainly won't taste like the combo you are probably used to.
Yes I was. I went through a ton of recipes, comments and forums and knew that there are recipes for the ground up lamb and pork but I have never come across a website or recipe or comment that said it was different. Just different ways to make it according to what is available to you in your area. From what you say, I guess it makes sense. Thank you for your reply. I already had plans to make the ground up lamb and beef recipe. 😁👍

Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky