Smoked French Onion Ribeye Sandwich

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nate52

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 22, 2021
Queensbury, NY
The wife sent me to the store last week to get a few things, and I ended up taking a detour to the meat department to see if they had anything interesting (because thats what we do). Ribeye was on sale for $6.99/lb, but I didn't plan on getting any because they weren't really the best cuts. But buried way in the back was this thick 2lb beauty that I had to have. Didn't really have any plans for it, but I remembered a french onion burger that I did over the winter that knocked my socks off. I kind of remember that burger might have been inspired by a similar cook to this that Sowsage posted a while back, so thanks for the indirect inspiration for this one!

A light dusting of SPOG and waiting for the grill to be ready.

20220514_164157.jpg

Still a beginner on the kettle, but I love smoking on this thing! It went for about an hour and a half between 270 and 290 until it hit 132IT. I used the hickory briquettes from Expert Grill. Not sure how it compares to regular charcoal with wood chunks, but its one less thing to think about while I'm still learning.

20220514_182741.jpg

Resting before getting sent to the fridge for the night.

20220514_191326.jpg

Came out exactly where I wanted it. Needed to keep it on the rare side, since Its going to be sliced and reheated in a skillet.

20220515_174301.jpg

I cut up some onions and made a sort of french onion soup. I've never looked into how to make it, but it sure does taste like it! Thick cut yellow onions cooked in butter on low until they became translucent, and then I added a clove of minced garlic, a generous sprinkle of thyme, and a few shakes of worcestershire. And then I added some water and a bit of beef bouillon and let it go until the liquid mostly evaporated.

The steak got sliced about a quarter inch thick and got reheated in its own fat as it melted.

20220515_175830.jpg

Topped the steak with the onions and some provolone to melt.

20220515_180937.jpg

For a condiment, I mixed mayo with worcestershire, horseradish, and a small glove of garlic.

20220515_173646.jpg

Served with grill zucchini and red onions, which were sprinkled with thyme, oregano, and parsley. And also my first attempt at polenta fries. The dipping sauce for the fries was the same horseradish mayo with a bit of honey mustard mixed in.

I was informed by the wife that I will be making this meal again.

20220515_182440.jpg

Great idea!
Have a few ribeyes in the freezer, and when our Son & Grandson come to visit in a couple of weeks, I’m going to make them the same sammie’s, cause your meal sure looks good!!
Al

Looks mighty appetizing from my screen.

Point for sure
Chris

That looks and sounds delicious! And kudos to you for having the willpower to put that steak in the fridge and not eat it!

Ryan

Thanks for the likes, guys! And thanks to whoever decides what becomes a featured cook. That was definitely a pleasant surprise!

That looks really good!! Like SmokinAl SmokinAl I have a rib eye or 30 in the freezer. This might be the catalyst for our dinner this evening. Well done!!

Robert

The wife sent me to the store last week to get a few things, and I ended up taking a detour to the meat department to see if they had anything interesting (because thats what we do). Ribeye was on sale for $6.99/lb, but I didn't plan on getting any because they weren't really the best cuts. But buried way in the back was this thick 2lb beauty that I had to have. Didn't really have any plans for it, but I remembered a french onion burger that I did over the winter that knocked my socks off. I kind of remember that burger might have been inspired by a similar cook to this that Sowsage posted a while back, so thanks for the indirect inspiration for this one!

A light dusting of SPOG and waiting for the grill to be ready.

View attachment 632773

Still a beginner on the kettle, but I love smoking on this thing! It went for about an hour and a half between 270 and 290 until it hit 132IT. I used the hickory briquettes from Expert Grill. Not sure how it compares to regular charcoal with wood chunks, but its one less thing to think about while I'm still learning.

View attachment 632774

Resting before getting sent to the fridge for the night.

View attachment 632775

Came out exactly where I wanted it. Needed to keep it on the rare side, since Its going to be sliced and reheated in a skillet.

View attachment 632776

I cut up some onions and made a sort of french onion soup. I've never looked into how to make it, but it sure does taste like it! Thick cut yellow onions cooked in butter on low until they became translucent, and then I added a clove of minced garlic, a generous sprinkle of thyme, and a few shakes of worcestershire. And then I added some water and a bit of beef bouillon and let it go until the liquid mostly evaporated.

The steak got sliced about a quarter inch thick and got reheated in its own fat as it melted.

View attachment 632777

Topped the steak with the onions and some provolone to melt.

View attachment 632778

For a condiment, I mixed mayo with worcestershire, horseradish, and a small glove of garlic.

View attachment 632779

Served with grill zucchini and red onions, which were sprinkled with thyme, oregano, and parsley. And also my first attempt at polenta fries. The dipping sauce for the fries was the same horseradish mayo with a bit of honey mustard mixed in.

I was informed by the wife that I will be making this meal again.

View attachment 632780
aas they say down here in N cuba.... moi bueno. I'd have a hard time letting that ribeye makeit to slicing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky