Smoked Country Style Ribs (CSR's)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

k2guy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 4, 2013
Chino Hills, CA
Smoked some CSR's yesterday and was not totally pleased with the outcome.  Bought these huge CSR's at Costco and they were really fatty.  Cut a lot of it off prior to smoking.  I was really pleased with the glaze that I used and the final product looked really nice.  I applied a rub using mustard as my glue.  Put them in the smoker and smoked them at about 220-230.  Started applying glaze about an hour into the smoke and re-applying every 45 min after that.  Pulled the meat from the smoker at 160 IT and let them set for about 10 min covered in foil.  Flavor was great, but really fatty which made some parts in-editable.  My question is, what could have I done different (if any) to make them better.  Here's a pic of the final just before I pulled them off.

If the meat was tender and the flavor was good then the fat was your only problem.

I quit buying pre cut CSR's because of this problem. Buy  a butt and cut them yourself would be my advice. That way the really fatty pieces can be trimmed, cut up  and smoked for beans, sammies, etc.

They do look great. I just cut around the fat when eating them. Most of them I have found have too much fat also. Glad you enjoyed the taste.

Thanks guys.  I thought is was me and something I did (or didn't do).  I have two more pieces of these in the freezer.  What else can I use this for other than trying to smoke them like I did yesterday?  They had a real "cooked ham" taste to them.  The glaze, like I stated earlier, was great.  I got the recipe from another forum (Smoke Ring).  I thought it was going to be to spicy (hot) for my wife, but it was perfect.  Here it is if you're interested.

Pork Wet Glaze

1 cup Honey

2 oz Kentucky Whiskey

2 oz Sriracha Garlic Chili Sauce

2 oz Ketchup

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky