Smoked corned beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bytor

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 16, 2020
I came across some decent looking corned beef flats at Costo's and picked 2 up. After a small amount of trimming, the one was 5.5 lbs. I did a 10 hour desalination, changing the water 3 times. I smoked at 225 for 7 hours, wrapped with B paper at the tail end of the stall and for the remaining 8.5 hours. I rubbed with the contents of the packet included with the beef (no sodium included) and added additional coriander and black pepper. It was just a little on the dry side, I probably should have wrapped sooner, maybe. However it was super salty. The label didn't indicate how much of it was solution, though it didn't look like it had shrunk more than expected. The label per serving size indicates that it's 1050 mg sodium per serving, so ouch that's a lot. I'm not sure what the typical corned beef has, but have cooked many in the oven and by braising and none were as salty as this one.

So, my question is, since I have one more of these in the fridge, how can I remove more of the sodium from it? I'm thinking going 24 hr with a soak and changing out the water more often.

Thanks
CB2.jpg
CB.jpg
CB1.jpg

Yep the only way to get more salt out is to soak it longer. You must have got an unusually salty one, cause we don't add salt to anything & I really notice salty foods. But a 4-6 hour soak with a couple of water changes works well for us. Next time after the soak cut a small slice off & fry it up. Then if it is still too salty soak it some more, until you get it where you want.
Al

What brand are they?, Some brands are very salty and need a longer soak-out. And the packet of pickling spices may have had salt, I generally throw the packet away.

A 10 hour soak-out is standard for some cooks using store bought pumped corned beef. And one of my friends soaks overnight and puts slices of potato in the bucket claiming they help absorb salt. I generally soak-out at least 7 hours, then I add my pastrami rub (which has very low salt) and rest the pastrami overnight prior to smoking. I do a pressure finish instead of a steam finish, and add some beef stock for a starter. As a result I get about a quart of liquid, but it's mild enough to use as a reheating liquid, or add to a soup.

They are Mortons of Omaha. I didn't taste the ingredients in the packet, but all that was in it were seeds, B-pepper and and some leaves. I didn't see any salt in it. Like I mentioned above, the label stated each serving had 1 gram of sodium in it. For the other one I have, I will go longer with the soak and either determine if there's any salt in the mix, or just season myself.

Thanks

i was going to try and smoke one today but after reading your post i am rethinking it, may be on sunday, coming up with some ideas, i will post about it.

I have attempted to make pastrami and gave it a 24 hrs bath changing water 3 times, its only 3 lbs and change so hoping not salty

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky