Smoked corn?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SKade

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 21, 2019
West Virginia
I love grilling corn in the husk. It’s simple and delicious. I’m going to try my hand at my first reverse sear. Smoke an eye of round for a bit and then crank the MB 560 and sear it off. Not the best cut of meat I know but it was cheep and I figure if I’m going to try a new method for the first time probably don’t want to spring for the A5. My question; is there any down side to cooking the corn low and slow with the roast? Has anyone tried this? I don’t imagine it would dry out but I have nothing to back that up but my gut. Granted my gut is pretty sizable these days.

Reactions: JLeonard
My experience was the corn tough and over Smokey didn’t think it was possible. I had several adult beverages that could of contributed to this outcome I was using hickory ,and cooking ribs I believe

Reactions: SKade
Thanks. I’ll go with zucchini or asparagus. Something I can cook quickly as the meat rests.

I have a Masterbuilt gravity series grill. I’m going to use it to do both. I run it low then pull the meat off. It will only take a minute or two to get it up to searing temp then back on. The corn would be on for the majority of the time at the lower smoky temp.

I have a Masterbuilt gravity series grill. I’m going to use it to do both. I run it low then pull the meat off. It will only take a minute or two to get it up to searing temp then back on. The corn would be on for the majority of the time at the lower smoky temp.

Right .. I understood your question about smoking the corn... not something I've done before but I feel like you should give it a whirl and report back.. it's either going to be fabulous or not fabulous.

I do a reverse sear the hard way as I smoke in the smoker and fire up the gas grill for the sear. Was thinking if you did something similar you could just grill the corn... anyways.. try it and report back

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I've cooked corn somewhat low and in the husk on rocks around a campfire, but I soak it in salty water for about 2 hours first. Once everything else is done, I'll strip the husk back and give it a grill with some butter. When camping, the husk is now the handle.

Have you ever had elote (aka Mexian street corn)? It's grilled, then topped with a spicy mayonnaise and sprinkled with cheese. The cook is pretty short. I do a butter baste for a few minutes, and then move the butter off the fire, basting once or twice more.
zDuFKyh.jpg
BRtPyC3.jpg
Once it's grilled, you add the dressings. My elote article and full recipe is below.
oVl79qI.jpg

If you want to incorporate zucchini into the meat, give this a shot. I make variations of this all the time...

If I was using the two grills that’s totally how I’d do it. I might give it a try smoking. Worst case I’m out $2.20 for a couple ears of corn. I can cook the asparagus as well. If it comes out great I’m sure we will have no problem making all the food disappear. If it comes out less than I hope there will still be some vegetables to try and get in the kid. I’m cooking my first pizza on the grill for lunch then doing my first reverse sear. Today is a day of firsts so why not try smoking corn? I’ll be bouncing the grill from 650 to 250 back to 650. Should be a fun day.

Reactions: kilo charlie
I recently posted about a grilled porkchop and made elote with it.. linked here that has the elote sauce recipe I used if you wanna look at other options - I'm hooked .. especially on the sauce.. which has no official name .. but is amazing on bread in a sandwich and on french fries, tater tots and as a dipping sauce for wings LOL

If I was using the two grills that’s totally how I’d do it. I might give it a try smoking. Worst case I’m out $2.20 for a couple ears of corn. I can cook the asparagus as well. If it comes out great I’m sure we will have no problem making all the food disappear. If it comes out less than I hope there will still be some vegetables to try and get in the kid. I’m cooking my first pizza on the grill for lunch then doing my first reverse sear. Today is a day of firsts so why not try smoking corn? I’ll be bouncing the grill from 650 to 250 back to 650. Should be a fun day.

Don't forget to post pictures!

I've cooked corn somewhat low and in the husk on rocks around a campfire, but I soak it in salty water for about 2 hours first. Once everything else is done, I'll strip the husk back and give it a grill with some butter. When camping, the husk is now the handle.

Have you ever had elote (aka Mexian street corn)? It's grilled, then topped with a spicy mayonnaise and sprinkled with cheese. The cook is pretty short. I do a butter baste for a few minutes, and then move the butter off the fire, basting once or twice more.
View attachment 497209
View attachment 497210
Once it's grilled, you add the dressings. My elote article and full recipe is below.
View attachment 497211

If you want to incorporate zucchini into the meat, give this a shot. I make variations of this all the time...

I love just grilling it and using the husk as a handle. It tastes great and I don’t have to do the work of removing the husk. I usual just leave all the fixings next to the corn. Butter, salt, pepper, old bay, parm cheese. Let the people fix it as they want. That said your street corn looks great. I’ll have to give it a try sometime.

I recently posted about a grilled porkchop and made elote with it.. linked here that has the elote sauce recipe I used if you wanna look at other options - I'm hooked .. especially on the sauce.. which has no official name .. but is amazing on bread in a sandwich and on french fries, tater tots and as a dipping sauce for wings LOL
It looks great. Did you post the whisky glaze recipe as well? I didn’t see it. Your food looks great.

Reactions: kilo charlie
It looks great. Did you post the whisky glaze recipe as well? I didn’t see it. Your food looks great.

Thank you!

The original post by WaterRat WaterRat is here and a snippet from that is below:

Glaze: 1/2 cup blackberry preserves (seedless); 1 cup, +1/4 cup Merlot; 2 TBSP butter; 2 TBSP minced garlic; 1-3 Habaneros finely chopped; 2 TBSP minced shallot; 1/2 tsp cornstarch
In a small sauce pan melt the butter and saute the habs, shallot, and garlic, don't brown just get them soft. Add in the blackberry and 1cup of Merlot, and start reducing. Once reduced by roughly half, mix 1/4 cup merlot and the cornstarch and add to the sauce, then make sure it's at close to a boil or the cornstarch won't do it's thing and thicken up.

Obviously on mine I swapped out peach bourbon for the Merlot, peach preserves for the blackberry preserves and kept everything else the same - I also did a cherry version with a cherry wine and cherry preserves.

Got delayed a little this morning. The wife had to work until 2am this morning and had to get up at 7 and work at it again until noon. I decided her resting might be more important than doing pizza for lunch. We just snacked and threw on the roast and corn in the afternoon. I had my assistant with me. The corn was on for about two and a half hours. I threw on some asparagus as a seared the eye of round. It cooked up fast. I found my first complaint about the Masterbuilt after a year of use. The probe. According to it the roast was at 122 when I started the sear. It was 126 when I had to pull it. I let it rest for 20-30 minutes. When I sliced it it was midwell to well. I can’t imagine it climbing 25-30 degrees after I pulled it. I haven’t used it for much aside from ballparking. Everything else I’ve done is mostly by the ya it’s done method. Back to a different thermometer for when I use one. And now for the answer you’ve all been waiting for. Smoked corn. It turns out it’s edible. My son and I both finished off ours. My wife did not. It turned out just a tiny bit under done and a tiny bit to much smoke. I was worried it would dry out the corn but that didn’t happen at all. The smoke doesn’t mix well with the vegetal sweetness of corn in my opinion. Not a lot penetrated the husk but some did. Just enough that it was barely noticeable. I recommend just grilling it. If I run into a situation like this again I think I’ll wrap the corn still in the husk in aluminum foil. That should keep any smoke below the level of perception. Worth the experiment and still definitely edible. Just not a great paring in my opinion.
BC49E14B-7037-432D-B8E7-AB1652573017.jpeg
D61564F1-3542-46A2-A427-2B9F9029FC00.jpeg
FFE5E530-FDDD-442E-821B-2014B25D5679.jpeg
A05F3D32-8327-418E-89B1-804EC6DADEDE.jpeg

Reactions: zwiller
Shame about the Beef getting over. Still looks good enough and juicy enough to eat.
. I had a similar situation with a Holiday Rib Roast. Cooked to 118° and pulled the meat cranked the oven to 500 and put the roast in for the Alton Brown recommended 10-15 minutes. Pulled when the IT hit 125. Sat on the counter and watched as the IT kept going up, higher and higher. Unded up Med-well. Edible but disappointing.
I learned later from other Chef's that it is important to rest the meat 30 minutes, to cool the surface inch or so, before the final sear. This reduces the residual surface temp and stops too much carryover...JJ

I've taken to using this microwave method to cook and clean corn followed by a pass thru the grill to char the kernels.

Sorry, late to your party but being from Ohio I know a little bit about sweet corn. :emoji_laughing: I've tried LOTS of things over the years but honestly just grill the heck out of it on a HOT grill and the silk and husk will burn and add a smokey flavor. In the end the exterior will be black and charred and you will be convinced you ruined it but not so. Remove husks outside with pair of gloves and old dish towels. I need to show the wife the microwave thing for those times when I don't wanna mess with grilling.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky