Smoked Chuckies and pot roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kathrynn

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 13, 2012
Madison, AL
Yesterday I got a wild hair and decided to try my hand at smoking 2 chuck roasts.  Together the weight was just a bit over 7 pounds.  Cranked up the Smoke vault and prepped the chucks.  I used Lawrey's, Fresh ground pepper and a little bit of Old Bay Seasoning.

Here they are waiting to go into the smoker.

This was about 2.5 hours in and they smell like good steaks with a splash of hickory.

I really only wanted these to get some good smokey flavor and one is going to be sliced.  The first/larger one is going in a pan with Beef Broth, Carrots, Onion, and taters with a bit more salt and pepper....for an oven roast.

Ready for the oven...going to put in there for a few hours at 350*.  They had 4 hours in the smoke vault.

Close up of the yummies.

I have to work today..so this is going to be dinner for the next few nights.

Sorry about the blurry....it was close to Midnight.  Tired Puppy!

The chuck got a nice smoke ring and tasted great.

Thanks for looking!

Kat

Last edited:

I am hoping tonight when I re-heat it....will be tender.  The piece I cut off...was like steak.  Had a good smoke ring too!

Kat
What was the smoker temp and IT when you pulled them off?

Mmmmmm looks like a big ol hunk of smoked pot roast.  I think I know what I'm cooking this weekend!
Thank you!  I kept seeing folks do those...so I just had to try them myself.

I am hoping tonight when I re-heat it....will be tender.  The piece I cut off...was like steak.  Had a good smoke ring too!

Kat
What was the smoker temp and IT when you pulled them off?
Smoker was running between 250-260*....had a bunch of wind yesterday afternoon.  The IT...(checked with my therma-pen) was 159*....they had stalled a bit and I took them out.

Kat

Kat

make sure theres enough liquid in there and it should be nice and tender when its reheated....i often do the same thing you do with chuckies..i let em smoked for at least 4-5 hrs also and them move the meat over to the crock with veggies and some stock...when i come home from work dinners ready. lol. good thing i got the wife at home to watch it while im away. :)

Smoker was running between 250-260*....had a bunch of wind yesterday afternoon.  The IT...(checked with my therma-pen) was 159*....they had stalled a bit and I took them out.

Kat

lol. when i read the question asking what temp you pulled i was just showing my buddy this thread and was saying looks like she pulled it off at around 160*...haha. i was close. man that means im getting way to comfortable in the meat smokin' business. lol. we were waiting for u to reply and we put $10 on the end temp..i just won!! yippee!!

That looks Awesome Kat!!! It will be Great reheated!!! I do this all the time too, slipping them in the crock pot after about 4-5 hours smoke. Smokey pot roast uuuuuummmmmmm!!!!!!!! Think I'm going to go get some of those $2.99/lb chuckies from Publix too!!! (back to work today so I guess I can afford it again)

Wow, those look so good. My missus isn't big on chuck roast. Maybe doing one of these will convert her. Thanks for posting, Kat.

Disco

Kat

lol. when i read the question asking what temp you pulled i was just showing my buddy this thread and was saying looks like she pulled it off at around 160*...haha. i was close. man that means im getting way to comfortable in the meat smokin' business. lol. we were waiting for u to reply and we put $10 on the end temp..i just won!! yippee!!
Hey....don't I get some of the winning???  haha

Glad you won!

Kat

Wow, those look so good. My missus isn't big on chuck roast. Maybe doing one of these will convert her. Thanks for posting, Kat.

Disco
Disco....crossing fingers that Lynn likes it.  He is just so blasted picky!

Kat

That looks Awesome Kat!!! It will be Great reheated!!! I do this all the time too, slipping them in the crock pot after about 4-5 hours smoke. Smokey pot roast uuuuuummmmmmm!!!!!!!! Think I'm going to go get some of those $2.99/lb chuckies from Publix too!!! (back to work today so I guess I can afford it again)
I may get some more for the freezer too if Lynn likes this way.  The little slice tasted like a good steak to me.  Lynn went back yesterday...so he only had one day of Furlough....but they may get sent home again too.

Kat

The pot roast was sooooo good last nite.  Lynn complained (and he always does) about the smoke smell....but not the tenderness.  (Thinking he doesn't like Hickory)

I loved it and the smell.  That is the best part to me!

Here is my plate from last nite...and trust me I ate all of it!

Sucks for Lynn....it's dinner again tonight.  Oh Wait!  There is bologna in the fridge too!  LOL!

Kat

That looks like a Great dinner!!!!
I guess it's destiny, there are 2 other stores here with them on sale for $2.99/lb now!!!!

That looks like a Great dinner!!!!
I guess it's destiny, there are 2 other stores here with them on sale for $2.99/lb now!!!!
Thanks for the advice on them too. Taking some for lunch today too.  Mine were boneless....and it doesn't matter for me.  

$2.99 per pound was cheap for here lately.

Kat

The pot roast was sooooo good last nite.  Lynn complained (and he always does) about the smoke smell....but not the tenderness.  (Thinking he doesn't like Hickory)

I loved it and the smell.  That is the best part to me!

Here is my plate from last nite...and trust me I ate all of it!

Sucks for Lynn....it's dinner again tonight.  Oh Wait!  There is bologna in the fridge too!  LOL!

Kat

looks great Kat! send me lynn's portion..ill take care of it. lol.

Kat
"We have 2 choices on the menu.  What I made and cereal" - my mother

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky