Smoked Chuck Texas Chili Cheese Tater

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
Had some left over smoked chuck from earlier in the week so the wife made up some Texas style chili to put over a baked Idaho russet…..

The russets were washed, lightly coated with classic olive then sprinkled with coarse sea salt…. Then in the oven @ 425 convection roast…. We have a large cookie sheet that always goes under our spuds to catch and oil that drips off….
E2E02581-01D3-41B7-AB34-8366D1E36BCF.jpeg

While the spuds were roasting the wife made up the chili….it is a variation from Duff G. Yes he is a baker but he knows good chili….
1C93A14A-8F36-4455-A885-DE22D9687967.jpeg

The boy made up some GR balsamic caramelize red onions to add a sweet tone…..(these are the bomb!)
E78A368D-BACB-4762-B710-60C13619FEF2.jpeg

Bingo the spuds are ready….the oil helps crisp the skin up….nothing better than one of these!
F09F705B-2750-4C30-8DF9-EC628FBD0D24.jpeg

The plate is assembled….spud, split and fluffed with a bit of butter, cheese, chili, cheese, red onions, SC, & GO……
560C4F6F-836B-4842-B43A-DEA58B00CCBD.jpeg

This is chili cheese spud money!
A6D25565-8CC1-460B-BE30-5DD8C04172DA.jpeg

Since my wife makes the chili scratch I snuck a pic of her recipe card…..just not she always adjusts to taste as she goes….
98BBCA4A-45F6-494A-80D2-A1143F837601.jpeg

If you're missing one spud and some chili... I claim plausible deniability! I know nothing but that looks delicious!

Ryan

Reactions: JLeonard
Looks tasty civil… nice job! I’d be all over that!

I’m looking forward to getting out and smoking in August once the snow is gone! 😂

Pic from a buddy up in Island Park…

736EC9C5-582C-4115-A095-C0576109525A.jpeg

Reactions: JLeonard
Looks tasty civil… nice job! I’d be all over that!

I’m looking forward to getting out and smoking in August once the snow is gone! 😂

Pic from a buddy up in Island Park…

View attachment 659961
Now that’s some snow…… when one of my buddy was building his island park all he could talk about was wall snow design….. I’ve had to shovel our perimeter a couple times now cause of wall drifting….

That looks fantastic and very much like a few we have done and absolutely love. Another beautiful thing is you can't see the tater. Yep, they gotta be in there but there also needs to be enough goodies on top to totally smother it. Beautiful plate!!

Robert

Man could I go for a plate! Nice one.
Thanks Brian! Its a 1 hour cook in total with the spuds and with all the smells for that time make one hungry for a huge bowl of it!
Man that’s a magazine presentation for sure! Those onions look off the hook too!
Thanks jcam! You wouldn't guess that was 1/2 of a large red onion before they reduced. They are flavor bombs for sure hats of to GR for sure!
Great looking plate. Love a chili cheese tater. And yours is excellent.

Jim
Many thanks Jim! The 5 chili pepper combination along with the smoky hints on the beef just make it seem like summer is here!
That looks fantastic and very much like a few we have done and absolutely love. Another beautiful thing is you can't see the tater. Yep, they gotta be in there but there also needs to be enough goodies on top to totally smother it. Beautiful plate!!

Robert
Much appreciated Robert! If you look really closely you can see a little part of the spud showing....ie just enough to know it is there, but yes the spud needs to be properly blanketed for the ratio of flavors to be in balance.....LOL
A great Team effort! Everything looks great...points for the whole family!

Red
Thanks Red, I'm lucky to have a full kitchen staff to do meals for sure!
That looks damn tasty!
Many thanks normj!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky