Smoked Chicken Legs - Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

teddymadison

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 21, 2011
Warwick, R.I. U.S.A.
Ok, this is my first Qview. Heck, it's my first smoke for that matter.

I used hickory chips in a foil pouch. Learned a lesson on that one lol. You need to seal the pouch and then put two or three small holes in it. I just had the top open like a slot and it was way too smokey. :)

The coals are Stubbs.

The grill is a Weber Performer w/propane ignition (22.5")

Here we are getting the coals ready using my DIY coffee can chimney. That propane starter in the Weber is perfect for this.

502d3788_1-StartingtheCoals.jpg

Here's the star of the show. I coated them with EVOO and then rubbed with a mix of brown sugar, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and rosemary. Basically followed an 8:2:1:1:1:1 formula which I read here somewhere.

e1017a60_2-Chickenreadytogo.jpg

Coals lit and laid out for the minion method. Next time I will stack more coals in, I was able to get about 240F but that was wide open. I later added more coals to the line and got to 300F and dialed it down with 80% closed bottom vent.

cfcbec59_3-Coalslit.jpg

This is about an hour into the cook, a good portion of that hour was ramping up to temp due to not enough coals in the line.

267f47a2_4-Aboutanhourin.jpg

And here's the finished product. About 2 1/2 hours to complete. If I had the temp up where I wanted it from the start I'm guessing 2 hours would have done it.

3d1cd740_5-Plateoffinishedchicken.jpg

Nice and juicy!

bc357fea_6-Insideview.jpg

And finally, the glamor shot! Beans and creamed corn to round it all out.

88ace682_7-Presentationplate.jpg

The taste was great! The smoke came through and the rub was there in the background. :)

Thanks to everyone here that helped me directly and indirectly. I learned a lot from these forums and credit you all for my successful first smoke!

Hmmm, now where was that fatty thread I was looking at....

That's some good looking chicken. Looks like you're getting the method down, I find that 10-12 briqs lit in a chimney and allowed to ash over completely work best at getting up to temp, JM2C.

BTW my wife would go ballistic if I tried using her Pyrex baking dish as a water pan, try getting some foil pans from the dollar store instead and keep the peace.

Real nice money shot!!

Thanks!!

Craig

lol, I intended on getting a tin pan when I was at the market but forgot. She's ok with me using the pyrex as I'm the one that normally washes the heavy artillery like pans and crocks. As long as I get it clean, do what I want.

Very nicely done smoke, Teddy!  And a fine Q view on top of that!  I loved that last shot with the beans and creamed corn!!  Aw yeaaaah!

Congrats! 
icon14.gif

Can't wait 'til your next Q view!  Keep 'em comin'!

Good job Teddy.  I think you are very close for temp control which is tricky using a kettle for smoking.  It should only get better from here on, but I don't know how much better those legs could look!

Good luck and good smoking.

Looks like you're getting it dialed in Teddy, there's nothing to be ashamed about with those legs they look perfect!

I made the mistake of using a Pyrex baking dish once, what a job it was to get it clean, I see we think alike on our disposable chimney starters too.

So yeah, make a fattie, ...that's sure to clinch the addiction.  LOL

Gene

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky