Smoked Chicken Empanadas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oldsmokerdude

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 5, 2018
LaPorte Indiana
Wanted to try something completely different (for me) utilizing some left overs. I found some smoked chicken in the freezer from last fall. I do like Mexican food and was trying to think of something I hadn't done before. Let's see: Nachos (done that), burritos (done that), enchiladas (done that), tacos (done that), empanadas.......hmmmm. Sounds interesting. Let's give it a try.

Smoked Chicken Empanadas
  1. Shred 2 or 3 smoked chicken breasts.
    You can certainly do this by hand, but my preferred method is in the mixer with the standard paddle. Makes quick work of it and my hands are still clean.
    20200220_115625.jpg

2. Since I was going Mexican, I use the following for the filling, but you could certainly substitute your favorite BBQ sauce for the salsa. Mix together
    1. Shredded Chicken Breast
    2. 1 Cup salsa (I used home made but you could choose any of your favorite off the shelf brands)
    3. Half cup sour cream
    4. Cup of cheese (I used Mexican blend but use your favorite. I wonder how this would taste with smoked cheese?)
    5. 3 tbsp Taco Seasoning
      20200220_120824@0,5x.jpg
  3. Make Empanada Shells
    1. I made my own dough, but you could use frozen pie crust if you choose and just cut out the shells
      • 3 cups all-purpose flour
      • ¼ to 1/2 teaspoon salt
      • 6 oz unsalted butter (1 stick of butter = 4 oz)
      • 1 egg
      • 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of water or milk adjust as needed to obtain a soft and smooth dough

• Mix the flour and salt in a food processor.
      • Add the butter and pulse
      • Add the egg and the water or milk (in small increments) and continue pulsing until a clumpy dough forms.
      • Roll out the dough into a thin sheet and cut out round disc shapes. If you have a tortilla press you can use it to flatten the dough balls. I used a pasta roller attachment for my mixer which worked great
    2. Cut the dough into approximately 3 to 3.5 inch circles
    3. Holding a shell in one hand, fill with about 1 and a half tablespoons of filling
    4. Crimp the edges of the dough together.
      1. Use a fork to press the edges together or go more traditional and braid them.
  4. Fry the empanadas.
    1. You can bake these as well, but we prefer the more crunchy fried empanada
    2. Coat empanadas with a mist of vegetable oil or cooking spray
    3. Into the preheated air fryer at 360 for 6 minutes
  5. Yummy
    Smoked Chix Empanada@0,5x.jpg

Love empanadas, meat patties, samosas, sambusa, and other variants of hand pies.
The use of wheat flour or corn meal wraps changed by locale with central and south america going more corn based ..
I have not seen any need to get an air fryer up to now.
Yours look very good.

I'm always looking for a way to utilize leftover meat, those look great! Thanks for posting the dough recipe, Like. RAY

Man those are awesome!!! I love Mexican food too. Love the use of leftovers, something I like to get creative with too. I bookmarked this for my to do list. Going to try to see if I can do these with a Keto fathead type dough.

Thanks, everyone for your kind comments. The missus liked them so well she asked if I could make them again today!!

Nice looking vittles, thanks for giving me an idea for some leftover frozen chicken I have.

Point for sure
Chris

Beautiful empanadas and great step by step! Used to make these a ton and haven't in a while, I know what I'm doing with my leftover pulled pork now!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky