SMOKED CAPRESE TURKEY MEATLOAF ...CHALLENGE WITH DISCO!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
I was challenged by our friend disco disco a while back. I had brought up caprese in one of his threads ........so...the idea was for each of us to come up with some kind of caprese inspired dish. We would both post what we came up with and let you guys vote. (I'll probably get my butt handed to me!! Lol!)

Here is the link to discos thread!

I wanted to keep to BBQ for mine as much as I could. After I thought about it for a while I had many ideas but settled in on a meatloaf. Since it was so close to Thanksgiving I decided it would also be a turkey meatloaf.

The mix is as follows:
1lb ground turkey(85/15)
1/2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
2 Eggs
1/3cup chopped Basil
1/4cup Sun dried tomatoes
6oz Motzarella pearls
1121201449.jpg

Mixed all up and formed into a loaf. I placed it on a rack . it went in the UDS at 275° with some cherry wood.
1121201502b.jpg

I wanted to glaze the meatloaf with a bbq sauce the last 20 min of the cook. Beeing a caprese meatloaf it needed to be some kind of balsamic bbq sauce. A quick search on the web produced a recipe. This was a food network recipe

1 cup balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup ketchup
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 garlic clove minced
1 Tbls wochestishire sauce
1 Tbls mustard
Salt
Pepper
Bring to a simmer and reduce by 1/3.
1121201509_HDR.jpg

Once that was ready and the meatloaf was on the smoker I mixed up a pasta salad. Pasta salad always goes good with any BBQ. Of course this one needed to be caprese pasta salad.
Pasta
Cherry tomatoes
Motzarella pearls
Chopped basil
Oil
Balsamic vinager
Salt
Pepper
All mixed up and in to the fridge until dinner.
1121201728.jpg

Took a peak at the meatloaf to see how it's coming along. Looking pretty good!
1121201842.jpg

I needed another side so I went with some aspearigus. I also decided to roast the leftover cherry tomatoes to top the meatloaf with. Both were seasoned with some oil,salt,pepper and garlic.
1121201857a_HDR.jpg
1121201857b_HDR.jpg

Meatloaf out of the smoker and taking a rest.
1121202002b.jpg

Veggies roasted....
1121202157.jpg
1121202157_HDR.jpg

Sliced into the meatloaf! Look at all that fresh motzarella!
1121202013b.jpg

Then all plated up ! A little more drizzle of the bbq sauce and some more fresh basil. The roasted tomato on top of the meatloaf.
1121202206.jpg

A fork full of all the goodness! Yum!
1121202207a~2.jpg

This was absolutely delicious!! Two kinds of caprese on the same plate with two completely different flavors. All of it was awesome! This meal was fun to make and I'm glad I made it. This is something I'll do again for sure!

Wow Travis. Looks outstanding. Pasta salad looks delicious and so does that meat loaf. Beautiful plating.

Great job to both of you! Two wonderful meals.

Very close in my mind but my vote goes to Sowsage Sowsage

Reactions: Sowsage
Looks great Travis. Perfect melding of different flavors. You took a previously run of the mill meal, and put it over the top. Big like!

I have read both and they are both exquisite. disco disco you know I think the world of you sir the the respect is much deserved, but I gotta give the edge to Travis. The creativity of putting the mozz balls in the meatloaf was nothing short of brilliant. They certainly had to meld beautifully with the meatloaf from a flavor perspective but the visual appeal is breathtaking. That needs to be framed and hung on the wall for posterity to enjoy for years to come. In essence, a work of art. Congrats may be a bit premature Travis as you have some stiff competition with what Disco turned out and I'm eager to see the results of the voting.

Robert

I have read both and they are both exquisite. disco disco you know I think the world of you sir the the respect is much deserved, but I gotta give the edge to Travis. The creativity of putting the mozz balls in the meatloaf was nothing short of brilliant. They certainly had to meld beautifully with the meatloaf from a flavor perspective but the visual appeal is breathtaking. That needs to be framed and hung on the wall for posterity to enjoy for years to come. In essence, a work of art. Congrats may be a bit premature Travis as you have some stiff competition with what Disco turned out and I'm eager to see the results of the voting.

Robert

Har! No need to explain. I think Travis came up with great idea!

Another fantastic meal Travis, just a perfect plate, Like! I wish I could find asparagus like that, all I've been seeing is the little skinny stuff that's only good for stirfry. RAY

Wow! You two sure make it hard to decide! I remember when this started and thought this is gonna be fun to watch. It has been for sure! Gonna have to give my vote to Travis...I sure do love me some meatloaf and that looked absolutely amazing with all that wonderful melted cheese! Great job to both of you!

Ryan

Wow! You two sure make it hard to decide! I remember when this started and thought this is gonna be fun to watch. It has been for sure! Gonna have to give my vote to Travis...I sure do love me some meatloaf and that looked absolutely amazing with all that wonderful melted cheese! Great job to both of you!

Ryan
An excellent pick, Ryan!

Damn!
Travis's thread was my 2nd stop on this challenge and in my 1st at David's I'd thought, "This is a great sammie and and is a great way to incorporate the traditional Caprese salad into another dish."
Then I come in here and.... "Damn!"... See there, I can't help it, "Damn!"
Travis took Caprese and more than just incorporated it, he transformed it into something that looks spectacular, and that I want a plate of to try.

Travis wins this challenge, no doubt in my mind.

Sorry David, real nice sandwich, but...

Travis , looks great ! Love a good meat loaf .
That sandwich Disco posted makes my mouth water .

Absolutely brilliant. I love the way the cheese stayed in balls. I think I am in peril! Big like.
[/QUOTEthanks disco! to be honest I was not sure what would happen with the cheese. Lol. I'm just glad it didnt run out all over the place!
Wow Travis. Looks outstanding. Pasta salad looks delicious and so does that meat loaf. Beautiful plating.

Great job to both of you! Two wonderful meals.

Very close in my mind but my vote goes to Sowsage Sowsage
Thanks Jake ! I appreciate it!
Looks great Travis. Perfect melding of different flavors. You took a previously run of the mill meal, and put it over the top. Big like!
Thank you very much!

Robert
Thanks Robert ! Very kind words!

Damn!
Travis's thread was my 2nd stop on this challenge and in my 1st at David's I'd thought, "This is a great sammie and and is a great way to incorporate the traditional Caprese salad into another dish."
Travis took Caprese and more than just incorporated it, he transformed it into something that looks spectacular, and that I want a plate of to try.

No apologies. Travis hit a home run!

Jeez! I hate to have to make a choice on this.......But the meatloaf wins for me.
But disco disco would not get turned down on the sammich either.
Both winners in my book in different categories.
Jim

Reactions: MJB05615 and TNJAKE
Another fantastic meal Travis, just a perfect plate, Like! I wish I could find asparagus like that, all I've been seeing is the little skinny stuff that's only good for stirfry. RAY
Thanks Ray! Our aspearigus is usualy the same. I didnt hesitate to grab these when I saw them!

Ryan
Thank you Ryan!
Damn!

Thanks chile! I really appreciate it!

Travis , looks great ! Love a good meat loaf .
That sandwich Disco posted makes my mouth water .
I agree. As a mater fact I just took some chicken thighs out of the freezer! Lol!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky