Smoked Baby Back Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

trundle888

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 21, 2016
Calgary Alberta Canada
Hey guys Im looking for some guidance.
I want to smoke a couple of racks of ribs on my propane BBQ using a little wood chip smoke box i was given as gift.
I want to do dry style rib as I much prefer dry to sauce slathered! 
My basic plan right now is cook them for 2 hours at 225 unwrapped, take them off and wrap them for another 2 hours at 225, after this point I'm not sure what to do. Unwrap and put back on the grill for an hour? On the grill for just a few minutes? What do you guys think?

Also should I be basting them for the first 2 hours? if so what should I use to baste? Should I do anything to them as I wrap them? Do anything to them once unwrapped?

Also am i best using wood chunks or smoke pellets in my smoke box? its about 9" long, 3 1/2" wide and 1 1/2'"deep.

Thank you very much for any help you guys can give
Dave

You don't really need to baste them, just let him smoke.. when you foil them add a bit of moisture, beer, apple juice, whatever and that'll keep them moist. Tossing them back on the grill after the first two steps just firms them back up a bit.. ribs are pretty easy and almost always turn out awesome even when you just kinda wing it..

Also I am unsure the best way to set up my BBQ/smoker.
Should I put my smoke box and water pan straight on the burners or on the grill rack above the burner? The back of the burner is the hottest part, am I right to have my smoke box there? Is a single water pan enough, I have space for two if needed. I'm going to have my ribs on the rack on the right hand side, with no heat underneath.

Last edited:
You'd probably need your smoker box on the burner to get it to burn, since wood basically has to reach  451 degrees to combust.Some people use a water pan, some don't, but one pan is fine, placed on the grate. If you do 2 hours uncovered, and 2 hours wrapped, then one hour uncovered will firm them up and dry them the way you want them. They say "if you're lookin, you ain't cookin", but during the last hour uncovered, poke them with a toothpick occasionally until they reach the tenderness you desire then remove them. Some people like fall-off-the-bone tender, some like a little tug. Fall off the bone is when your toothpick slides in easily, like poking warm butter.

Sounds like your on the right track,  Once I unfoil ribs I normally just grill them until the are cooked to my liking,  I just like to tighten them back up plus add a bit of a char to them.  As for your set up it looks good as well, but also you are going to have to tinker with until is works as you like.  With the smoker box just make sure you don't get too much smoke,  once it starts smoking a bit you may want to move it away from the direct heat.  The key is thin blue smoke, not big white clouds.  Hope this helps.  Good luck!!

Brian

Thanks guys.
Should I baste or spritz, apply any more rub as they are cooking? Add spritz juice to the foil and more rub? Once unfoiled kept the heat about 225 but grill them above direct heat, would an hour like this not be too long?
Thanks again

Thanks guys.
Should I baste or spritz, apply any more rub as they are cooking? Add spritz juice to the foil and more rub? Once unfoiled kept the heat about 225 but grill them above direct heat, would an hour like this not be too long?
Thanks again
I'd spritz w/apple cider vinegar when foiling. No direct heat. Keep checking the last hour until they are the texture you want.

No spritz or additional rub during the first 2 hours? I read somewhere spritz, after the first hour every 15 minutes when turning. Use apple cider vinegar with some rub whisked into it.
There are so many things to read but most contradict each other and I have no idea what to do! Lol

Yes it's confusing because everyone has a little different method. There is no right or wrong way only what works best for you. For instance I cook ribs at 275 and don't wrap just brush on a glaze when they are getting close to finished

lookin good!

drool.gif

Yes they were!
Had them on for another 45 minutes once out of the foil.
Very happy with how they turned out and wasn't actually that much work, just quite long.

Even had a nice little smoke ring.

Thanks to everyone who helped out with advice!!

Last edited:
Reactions: mike5051
I rub them and put them on the smoker keeping it between 225 and 250.  I don't open the smoker for 4 hrs.  Then I check them and add sauce if desired.  Another 30 minutes to an hour and off they come.  My lady likes sauce and fall off the bone so hers go the full 5 hours.  I usually pull my rack off at 4.5 hrs no sauce.  Super easy to smoke some amazing ribs.

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky