Smoked Baby Back Ribs With a Sweet Rub

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

burn-it

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
San Diego CA
The Ribs:   Pork Loin Back Ribs purchased at Costco.  

The Rub:   Kansas City Sweet and Smoky Dry Rub from BBQ Bible (Modified).

The Smoker:   Char-Broil American Gourmet 600 Charcoal Grill with Mods.

The Mods:   Sorry - No photos.  I'll work on getting them posted. All of these mods were located in various stings in this site.

Added Char-Griller SFB.  Fit almost perfectly. 

Sealed SFB door with stove gasket/rope.  I hang a 15lb weight to keep it closed.

Coal basket made from expanded steel.  11" x 12" x 5".

Extended smokestack to grill level with 3" vent hose.

Grill grates from SFB placed in the bottom of the smoking chamber width wise.

Charcoal grate from Char-Broil grill flipped upside down and placed on grates from SFB.

Heavy duty foil used to seal the smoking chamber.

Digital thermometer in the smoking chamber.

The Fuel:   Cowboy Brand Lump Charcoal.  It was the only thing available in Home Depot.  Filled the basket to the top with unlit coal and then added 1/2 chimney of lit coal to the side closest to the smoke chamber.  When the temp was up to 200. I closed the intake half closed. When it reached 220 I closed the intake to 1/4 open.  The temp settled around 227.  It took about 45 minutes to get the temp under control.  I added 1/2 chimney at 3 hours and at 4 hours to maintain the temp.

The Smoke:   Hickory Chunks.  1-2 chunks every 30 minutes, or so, for the first 3 hours.  The first t chunks were put in when the temp reached 200.

The Temp:   220 - 230 degrees.  When the temp dropped below 220 I adjusted the intake vent to increase the airflow.  When the temp rose above 230 I adjusted the intake vent to decrease the airflow.  This was usually around the time I added more fuel.  It settled at 225, or so, in no time.

The Time:   5 hours.  My first check was made 2 hours into the smoke.  They looked a little dry so I spritzed with water. 

Fresh from the smoker.

9747271b_PIC-0113.jpg

Nice and juicy.

4047383e_PIC-0114.jpg

Leftovers . . . .mmmmmmmm!

b527567d_PIC-0115.jpg

Congrats on a great smoke, and thanks for sharing the Q View. BB's do well with a sweet rub, and those look great. It's all good my friend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky