Smoked Baby Back Ribs With a Sweet Rub

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

burn-it

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
San Diego CA
The Ribs:   Pork Loin Back Ribs purchased at Costco.  

The Rub:   Kansas City Sweet and Smoky Dry Rub from BBQ Bible (Modified).

The Smoker:   Char-Broil American Gourmet 600 Charcoal Grill with Mods.

The Mods:   Sorry - No photos.  I'll work on getting them posted. All of these mods were located in various stings in this site.

Added Char-Griller SFB.  Fit almost perfectly. 

Sealed SFB door with stove gasket/rope.  I hang a 15lb weight to keep it closed.

Coal basket made from expanded steel.  11" x 12" x 5".

Extended smokestack to grill level with 3" vent hose.

Grill grates from SFB placed in the bottom of the smoking chamber width wise.

Charcoal grate from Char-Broil grill flipped upside down and placed on grates from SFB.

Heavy duty foil used to seal the smoking chamber.

Digital thermometer in the smoking chamber.

The Fuel:   Cowboy Brand Lump Charcoal.  It was the only thing available in Home Depot.  Filled the basket to the top with unlit coal and then added 1/2 chimney of lit coal to the side closest to the smoke chamber.  When the temp was up to 200. I closed the intake half closed. When it reached 220 I closed the intake to 1/4 open.  The temp settled around 227.  It took about 45 minutes to get the temp under control.  I added 1/2 chimney at 3 hours and at 4 hours to maintain the temp.

The Smoke:   Hickory Chunks.  1-2 chunks every 30 minutes, or so, for the first 3 hours.  The first t chunks were put in when the temp reached 200.

The Temp:   220 - 230 degrees.  When the temp dropped below 220 I adjusted the intake vent to increase the airflow.  When the temp rose above 230 I adjusted the intake vent to decrease the airflow.  This was usually around the time I added more fuel.  It settled at 225, or so, in no time.

The Time:   5 hours.  My first check was made 2 hours into the smoke.  They looked a little dry so I spritzed with water. 

Fresh from the smoker.

9747271b_PIC-0113.jpg

Nice and juicy.

4047383e_PIC-0114.jpg

Leftovers . . . .mmmmmmmm!

b527567d_PIC-0115.jpg

Congrats on a great smoke, and thanks for sharing the Q View. BB's do well with a sweet rub, and those look great. It's all good my friend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky