Smoked and Seared Bottom Round Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tander28

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
Kansas
My wife and I are in the process of moving, so didn't have much time for the smoker this weekend. Even still, I couldn't pass up a beautifully marbled bottom round roast on sale at the store (even though we were only there for cleaning supplies :emoji_laughing:). Obviously not the most tender cut of meat, I wanted to smoke to medium rare, sear it, and slice it thin for sandwiches or just to snack on by itself. Wasn't sure how this one would turn out given the cut, but was very pleased overall!

Seasoned it with Meat Church Holy Cow (their rubs are amazing). Smoked at 250 until IT of 130 in my Camp Chef Woodwind. Once it hit desired temp, I brushed it with butter and moved it over to the screaming hot gas powered sear box. Finished it up by slicing different thicknesses to see which one I liked best. Definitely thinner the better (wish I had a slicer to get it real thin). Ate it that night with a sprinkle of Korean salt and some leftover rice from our Asian takeout. Flavor is absolutely amazing, though certainly not the most tender thing I've put in my mouth unless the slice is really thin--then it's outstanding. Had some thin slices on sandwich with horseradish mustard and onion too, that was really good!
IMG_1041.JPG
IMG_1043.JPG
IMG_1044.JPG
IMG_1048.JPG
IMG_1056.JPG

Looks good, I do much the same only I don’t sear. I have a electric slicer, I’ll shave it and use it for sandwiches. Sometimes my wife will make an onion or mushroom gravy, dump an amount of the shaved meat into the gravy to reheat, mashed potatoes and a salad. Slicing thin is the key, works wonders for moose or elk roast that are lean and tend to dry out if your not watching internal temperatures.

Reactions: Jabiru
What kind of slicer do you have? I need to invest in one
Looks good, I do much the same only I don’t sear. I have a electric slicer, I’ll shave it and use it for sandwiches. Sometimes my wife will make an onion or mushroom gravy, dump an amount of the shaved meat into the gravy to reheat, mashed potatoes and a salad. Slicing thin is the key, works wonders for moose or elk roast that are lean and tend to dry out if your not watching internal temperatures.

What kind of slicer do you have? I need to invest in one

The best kind, free. A friend upgraded his to a larger one and gave me his used Cabela’s. It’s small(7 1/4” blade) with plastic gears. When/if this one packs it in I will be looking for a larger one with metal gears. His instructions where to go easy with it since it is old and has sliced many kilos of moose jerky, I’ve done probably sliced 20 kilos of meet and still going strong. I would likely look at Cabela’s brand when it comes time to replace mine.
Look on the used market, save some $

The best kind, free. A friend upgraded his to a larger one and gave me his used Cabela’s. It’s small(7 1/4” blade) with plastic gears. When/if this one packs it in I will be looking for a larger one with metal gears. His instructions where to go easy with it since it is old and has sliced many kilos of moose jerky, I’ve done probably sliced 20 kilos of meet and still going strong. I would likely look at Cabela’s brand when it comes time to replace mine.
Look on the used market, save some $
Great info, thanks!

I've had a Cabelas 11" commercial slicer for over a decade, never a problem will slice so thin there's only one side. Check Craigslist, sometimes great deals are to be found there. RAY
DSCN0870.JPG

Looks great, done just right. I have a Chefs Choice 615A and love it. I use it when I smoke beef or turkey for lunch meat. I’ve sliced a bit of bacon with it too. For light to medium home use it’s great. Full price they run about $159 on Amazon, they hit Woot from time to time for around $100.

I've had a Cabelas 11" commercial slicer for over a decade, never a problem will slice so thin there's only one side. Check Craigslist, sometimes great deals are to be found there. RAY
Thanks, Ray! I'll definitely start keeping an eye out.
looks tasty from here
Thanks, Jim!
Looks great, done just right. I have a Chefs Choice 615A and love it. I use it when I smoke beef or turkey for lunch meat. I’ve sliced a bit of bacon with it too. For light to medium home use it’s great. Full price they run about $159 on Amazon, they hit Woot from time to time for around $100.
I'm unfamiliar with Woot, will have to check that out.
Damn man that looks good! You nailed it on the doneness that thing is beautiful. LIKE!
Thank you! Great flavor, but gotta get a slicer to really make this cut sing I think.

Thanks, Ray! I'll definitely start keeping an eye out.

Thanks, Jim!

I'm unfamiliar with Woot, will have to check that out.

Thank you! Great flavor, but gotta get a slicer to really make this cut sing I think.

I bought a cheapo Weston slicer off of amazon a couple years ago. Sliced several roasts and a whole bunch of bacon with it. Still works. You gotta give it a rest after a little while and its def not for commercial or heavy use but its not bad for the $40 investment.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky