Smoked Almonds

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

burm1000

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Salina KS
I always smoke some almonds thi time of year. Today I did 12 pounds. I do them 6 pounds at a time (3 pounds on top and bottom rack of Weber Smokey Mountain). I use the pans with preformed holes in the bottom then place that in a regular aluminum foil pan. The bottom pan catches the coating run off. There are many recipes out there. Find one you like and give it a try. 2 cups in a little bag make great give aways.
0306BB50-95E5-4096-8619-BB880562F95B.jpeg
E142A1D2-1DF4-45C6-BEBF-31CE23B40F8F.jpeg
0306BB50-95E5-4096-8619-BB880562F95B.jpeg
E142A1D2-1DF4-45C6-BEBF-31CE23B40F8F.jpeg

I have 10 pounds of almonds coming tomorrow and will be doing the same thing this weekend! Nice looking holiday gifts!

I do something similar. Whenever I'm only using one rack on the WSM, I dump a few cups of Costco mixed nuts onto a perforated tray and put it on the bottom rack. I mist them slightly with water--heard that makes the smoke flavor adhere better, though I've not tried it without the mist. If I put the tray on the bottom rack, I'll put a foil tent over it to block drippings from whatever is on the top rack. Two or three hours on the smoker is usually about right.

SinceI mist and I also fill the water pan when using the smoker, I found that the nuts finish with a moisture content that will allow for mold growth if I bag them immediately. So my last step is to put the tray in an oven at 175 F for awhile to dry them out before I bag them up. They're always a hit.

Look great burm1000! The coloring is particularly attractive. What coating recipe do you recommend??? Please share.

My limited experience shows almonds are a tough nut to get smoke into without a coating (like water mist comments above.) So if you can get some more good flavors into that coating in addition to the smoke I'm all for it.

Sure. I agree on the smoky flavor. I just opened mine and could smell the smell smoky but the flavor is subtle at best. I usually use hickory but have done cherry and apple.

1lb almonds
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 TBS Kosher Salt
1/8 tsp white pepper (could be 1/3 tsp...can't read my writing)
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 TBS garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
Combine and set aside.
1 egg white
1tbs water
3 dashes Tobasco
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Mix and add dry ingredients. Coat almonds. I think it makes too much and you have a lot of run off during the smoking process. You have to use a perforated pan or they get really sticky and don't finish well. I put a short perforated pan in a taller regular aluminum pan and it works well.

Option two

1 lb raw almonds
2 TBS melted butter
1/4 cup maple syrup
While butter is melting combine dry ingredients in separate bowl.
1 TBSP Salt
1 tsp garlic powder or 1 tsp cinnamon (the cinnamon option is my personal favorite)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
Add dry ingredients to butter/syrup and stir. Coat almonds. I think it makes too much and you have a lot of run off during the smoking process. You have to use a perforated pan or they get really sticky and don't finish well. I put a short perforated pan in a taller regular aluminum pan and it works well.

Both recipes. Smoke at 250 for about 2 or 21/2 hours stirring every 30 minutes or so. They are done when they start to get a crunchy bite. Spread apart as many will stick together but once they cool and you separate they will be fine. They are definitely better a few days after smoking them.

Reactions: bill1
I always smoke some almonds thi time of year. Today I did 12 pounds. I do them 6 pounds at a time (3 pounds on top and bottom rack of Weber Smokey Mountain). I use the pans with preformed holes in the bottom then place that in a regular aluminum foil pan. The bottom pan catches the coating run off. There are many recipes out there. Find one you like and give it a try. 2 cups in a little bag make great give aways. View attachment 518694View attachment 518695View attachment 518694View attachment 518695
Wonderful looking nuts. Something I definitely have to try now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky