Smoked a pastrami, left whole in the fridge, now what?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scvinegarpepper

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Lowcountry, SC
I did my first (cheater) pastrami yesterday with a corned beef. I wrapped in BP at 160, and let it go until about 195. Pulled it off to rest in a cooler a few hours, then threw the whole thing in the fridge.

Now, should I slice it cold, or steam it back to temp then slice it? Don’t really have an end goal here, just wanted to try it and have slices to eat on this week, sandwiches, etc. In hindsight I probably should have pulled it earlier and then steamed to finish, based on what I’m reading. But I can’t go back in time. Slice it cold or heat it up? Thanks friends.

Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
I don't steam . I like it sliced cold .
If it's a big slab , slice some and further dry it into jerky .
Good stuff .

Pics ?
Not super happy with the bark. I made the mistake if leaving it tightly wrapped in the BP, so once I pulled it out of the fridge and the BP, a lot of the bark pulled off with it. Oh well, learned that for the next one. Also, wasn't super in love with the rub, I feel like it needed more coarse black pepper. Again, lesson learned.
pastrami1.jpg

pastrami2.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky