Smoked a little bit of cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TNJAKE

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 26, 2019
Ridgetop TN🇺🇸
Been planning a cheese smoke for a while now but the mild winter has kept me from doing it. Woke up Friday morning to this and decided the time was perfect
20200207_084139.jpg

We have been buying cheese now for a while for this smoke and managed to gather 30lbs. My mom had 10lbs for me as well but the snow prevented her from bringing it which turned out to be a blessing because I was short on smoker room. Heres what I smoked.......
20200207_091339.jpg

Cut it all up and laid it on cooling racks
20200207_100938.jpg

Had to do this in 3 separate batches on the smoker. Smoked for 3hrs per batch using apple wood in my amazen tube. Total time for 30lbs of cheese was 9hrs. Smoker was around 50° for the duration. Heres a couple of action shots.
20200207_104846.jpg

20200207_141153.jpg

After the 3rd batch went in I tasted some from the first batch which had been sitting outside for 6hrs and it was delicious. Heres the final product.....
20200208_161359.jpg

The cheese took on some really great color. Rested in the fridge for 24hrs. Wiped off the sweat afterward and vac sealed. 65 bags of cheese. Gonna give away to friends and family and enjoy the rest over the summer. Sitting in the fridge to mellow a bit for a couple of weeks.
20200208_193720.jpg

Thanks for looking

Looks awesome Jake. Some of my favs there too the Seriously Sharp, Jarlsberg , Le Gruyere and Kerrygold are all high on my list. The Black Diamond tops the list!

Reactions: TNJAKE
Looks like you're a Sam's club member!

That Irish cheddar on the bottom left doesn't take smoke too well, but it's still a great cheese.. I cracked some at Christmas which was about a year after it was smoked and I was disappointed with the absorbtion of smoke, but the cheese was still quite good.

The flamin jack next to it is just a good darn cheese. Takes smoke well enough (not as good as a traditional cheddar mind you), and has a great pepper flavor through out.

Good by the slice on a cheese tray, even better smoked and shredded and used as a feature cheese in like a Mac, or some other dish where melty cheese is the star :-)

Looks awesome Jake and lots of good eating

Reactions: TNJAKE
Cheese looks great Jake, but after 5 years in the NW suburbs of Chicago (a long time back) I saw enough snow to last me a lifetime. Wouldn't break my heart in the least if I never see another snowflake. Hats off to you folks that have the fortitude to live in a climate like that :emoji_astonished: Now for the wait....

Robert

Looks like you're a Sam's club member!

That Irish cheddar on the bottom left doesn't take smoke too well, but it's still a great cheese.. I cracked some at Christmas which was about a year after it was smoked and I was disappointed with the absorbtion of smoke, but the cheese was still quite good.

The flamin jack next to it is just a good darn cheese. Takes smoke well enough (not as good as a traditional cheddar mind you), and has a great pepper flavor through out.

Good by the slice on a cheese tray, even better smoked and shredded and used as a feature cheese in like a Mac, or some other dish where melty cheese is the star :-)
Yeah most of it came from Sam's. I think the dubliner is great smoked. I could eat pounds of the flaming jack lol. Thanks for the like

Reactions: fivetricks
Cheese looks great Jake, but after 5 years in the NW suburbs of Chicago (a long time back) I saw enough snow to last me a lifetime. Wouldn't break my heart in the least if I never see another snowflake. Hats off to you folks that have the fortitude to live in a climate like that :emoji_astonished: Now for the wait....

Robert
Lol we barely get snow so was a fun day to smoke cheese. Thanks for the like!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky