Smoked 4 Layer 4 Cheese Spicy Lasagna (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'd crush that Lasagna for diner and any leftovers would be breakfast!

Thanks so much Jed. Problem is that if I had the leftovers for breakfast there wouldn't be enough for another dinner...and that would not make Tracy happy :emoji_wink:

I'm with Tracy..no need to fill my belly with a salad

I love a nice salad but guess I'm out voted on this one.

That looks amazing !!!

Thanks so much Mike. I appreciate it.

Robert

I'll take a plate! Looks perfect to me buddy!

Thanks Steve!! Looks perfect possibly but just slightly over smoked. Was still good though

Missed the cottage cheese the first time through . I agree , goes great in lasagna .

I was not so sure about cottage cheese first time Tracy asked me to use it. Turns out that it's very good and I was surprised at how nicely it melted.

I may have to try that with Zucchini noodles.

Now that sounds good Brian. I've done eggplant parmigiana before and used zucchini instead of eggplant. That came out really well.

Robert

Wanna thank you for all the mentions of Prepared Pantry products, not sure if this bread is but we ordered some and really like it

Thanks for the kind words Ryan. The bread was from the Prepared Pantry. It was their Italian bread stick mix. I just formed it a bit differently. Brushed it with my homemade garlic and herb EVOO, some garlic powder, and an Italian herb mix I keep on hand. The mix comes with some sort of salt but I just toss that. Used it once and all of it just fell off when they came out of the oven. Now I use all my own stuff.

Fantastic meal right there! And wonderfully documented. Thanks for sharing, Robert.

More than welcome and thank you for the kind words.

I could go for a nice hot plate of that right there Robert.
Another fine meal and directions to boot .
Thank you.

Well David, come on down to a warmer climate where you don't need to worry about snow and I'll hook a brother up :emoji_wink: Thank you sir the accolades.

Robert

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I really need to start leaving my sauce overnight, but seems like I don't plan far enough ahead.
Looks really good, I'll have seconds please.

Are you saying it only took 30 minutes to cook a 4 layer pan of lasagna? That would be awesome.

No problem on the seconds :emoji_wink: Everything was basically cooked when I built the lasagna. Sauce of course was cooked and still very warm. Noodles were par boiled al dante so all they had to do was absorb a little more moisture that came out from the cheeses melting. All that really needed to be done was heat it through real well to melt all the cheeses.

The pinch of coffee grounds is interesting.

Been doing that for years. Coffee adds a nice rich color to the sauce but it also adds a bit of depth and smokiness to it. Tracy hates the thought of drinking coffee but says adding it to the sauce makes a huge difference. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I've printed it and will give it a good look-over and may give it a shot. At first glance it sounds fantastic.

Robert

Reactions: yankee2bbq
Whoa, that's one fantastic cook Robert, big Like! I've thought of making lasagna and pizza on my Weber many times but figured the charcoal flavor would overpower the entire dish.

Thanks so much my friend. It was a tad over smoked but not overpowering by any means. As noted, I'll cover for the first part of the cook to tone the smoke down a bit.

Love lasagna and yours looks like it would fit the bill.

Thanks you sir!!

Do you pre cook the noodles or just put them in raw and let them stew/cook in the sauce.

I partially cook then. Just enough to soften them a bit...to where they are pliable. They don't take long to finish cooking after that.

the pinch of coffee is an awesome curiosity for me!

It adds a wonderful smokiness to the sauce and deep, rich color.

Looks like another great meal Robert

Thank you Jim. With it being just a bit over smoked I won't say "great" but it was darned good :emoji_wink:

Robert

Sorry, I’m new to this, I’m surprised neither has onion? Is that common in traditional Italian?

Well Jed, truth be told I had a brain fart when I posted this. I actually did put a bunch of granulated onion in there just forgot to note it in the recipe...which is weird. We love onions and I out them in almost everything I cook....almost to the point of putting them on top of ice cream

Wow Robert it sure does look tasty from here brother :emoji_ok_hand: !

I have gotten better with cottage cheese in Italian meals instead of ricotta, but given a choice it would always be the ricotta.

Thanks so much my brother. I wasn't sure about the cottage cheese at first but like it now. I eat it a lot by itself or with pear halves but had not considered it in lasagna.

Robert

Reactions: bauchjw
The lasagna looks absolutely delicious Robert! I love the spicy and smoked aspect you incorporated into the dish. I never had it smoked but I don't think I would ever turn down a nice slice of that if you served it to me.

The wife asked a question about the ground coffee and It gave me a "I don't know" moment. She asked if you would get coffee grounds in your mouth when eating the sauce as they don't desolve. I assumed there would be so little you wouldn't notice but I said I would ask anyway.

Corey

Ciao!

Nice smoke ring!

Seriously, I’m sitting here drinking a beautiful 2016 Tempranillo from Baja that would sing with that lasagna. The weather is perfect for that meal.

Delizioso!

42479A18-4555-4820-A0AB-EA70C80B1E5D.jpeg

Yes, that is a kerosene lamp. From about 1870 or so.

Reactions: TNJAKE and bauchjw
Ciao!

Nice smoke ring!

Seriously, I’m sitting here drinking a beautiful 2016 Tempranillo from Baja that would sing with that lasagna. The weather is perfect for that meal.

Delizioso!

View attachment 521732

Yes, that is a kerosene lamp. From about 1870 or so.
I'm not showing that pic to my wife...we have too many already! But it us nice!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky