Smoked 4 Layer 4 Cheese Spicy Lasagna (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
First food related post in a while, but this came out really well...and it was a lot of fun to do. As some of you who may have followed my food follies know, we love Italian food around here. Due to the time involved and the sheer volume of a pan of lasagna, it does not get made often enough. A couple days ago Tracy asked me to make some but OOPS!! I was out of spicy Italian sausage. Had a bunch of ground pork portioned out into 5# bags in the freezer from my last round of sausage making (went ahead and ground it up since the grinder was already yucked up) so got a bag out to defrost. Next morning I got a batch made and started the sauce. That was Thursday morning. Let the sauce simmer on low pretty much all day, cool, and into the fridge overnight. Back onto the stove yesterday afternoon to simmer a bit more while I got the noodles ready and made some mini Italian bread loaves as a side dish.

The sauce (recipe of sorts to follow)
019.jpg

A small amount of sauce in the pan so the noodles don't stick
020.jpg

First layer of noodles and cottage cheese (Tracy's preference over ricotta)
021.jpg

Sauce, mozz, Parmesan, and Romano
022.jpg

Repeat till you run out of ingredients. I got 4 layers out of this and ran out of sauce and noodles
023.jpg

Mini Italian bread loaves fresh out of the oven
024.jpg

Lasagna onto the Weber
025.jpg

About 15 minutes in. Thermometer was reading about 250 but grate temp was probably closer to 350
026.jpg

All done, cut, and ready to serve
028.jpg

Plated up with the Italian bread loaves and some homemade marinara for dipping
029.jpg

Close up
033.jpg

I was gonna do a salad too but Tracy said there was no point. She had every intention of loading up on the lasagna. This was really good!! Loved the smoked flavor to it but there was just a bit much. Next time I'll cover for the first 15 minutes and uncover for the last 15 minutes. This scratched an itch that I've had for a long time and boy did we gorge ourselves. I was almost in pain when I finally deciding to stop eating...but it was oh so worth it!!

The sauce. I did not measure any of the spices so this is just a list. Season according to taste but this was about the best sauce I've made, probably due to letting it simmer all day and sit overnight. We all know that sauce is always better the next day :emoji_wink:

1# homemade spicy Italian sausage browned and drained
2) 14.5 ounce cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
2) 8 ounce cans of tomato sauce
Garlic
Granulated onion
Oregano
Basil
Black pepper
Crushed red pepper
Cayenne pepper
Pinch of ground coffee
Pinch of sugar

That's it. Simple stuff but very, very good. Thankfully we have some leftovers, even after feeding the neighbors. That pan of lasagna probably weighed over 10 pounds, minus the pan. It was dense, rich, filling, and amazingly flavorful. All in all a very gratifying meal and we will eat the last of it in the next couple days.

Thanks for dropping in. Be well, stay safe, and we'll see y'all soon I believe. Gonna fire up the new cabinet smoker today that I built and toss a few goodies on it. If things come out as planned, i might have a meal that's worthy of posting.

Fingers X'ed,
Robert

Last edited:
Wow Robert, that looks incredible! I'd crush that Lasagna for diner and any leftovers would be breakfast! After reading this, I've realized that I always rush that sauce . . . and I need to try to smoke it! Great post, beautiful food and thank you for the recipe! Book Marked!

Great looking lasagna. I'm with Tracy..no need to fill my belly with a salad. Save it all for that cheesy goodness.
Jim

That looks great ! Nice cook

Missed the cottage cheese the first time through . I agree , goes great in lasagna .

Last edited:
Nummy nummy nummy! That looks good! Nice job on that lasagna. Definitely spot on with the sauce, simmering for several hours does make a big difference.
Wanna thank you for all the mentions of Prepared Pantry products, not sure if this bread is but we ordered some and really like it. Once we found the directions that is lol!

Ryan

Reactions: bauchjw
Fantastic meal right there! And wonderfully documented. Thanks for sharing, Robert.

Just got in from 4 hours of snow and ice clean up around the property,

I could go for a nice hot plate of that right there Robert.
Another fine meal and directions to boot .
Thank you.

David

Looks really good, I'll have seconds please.

Are you saying it only took 30 minutes to cook a 4 layer pan of lasagna? That would be awesome.

My wife won't eat the pasta, i have to make 2 versions, one with cauliflower. Smoke might even make the cauliflower version editable.

First food related post in a while, but this came out really well...and it was a lot of fun to do. As some of you who may have followed my food follies know, we love Italian food around here. Due to the time involved and the sheer volume of a pan of lasagna, it does not get made often enough. A couple days ago Tracy asked me to make some but OOPS!! I was out of spicy Italian sausage. Had a bunch of ground pork portioned out into 5# bags in the freezer from my last round of sausage making (went ahead and ground it up since the grinder was already yucked up) so got a bag out to defrost. Next morning I got a batch made and started the sauce. That was Thursday morning. Let the sauce simmer on low pretty much all day, cool, and into the fridge overnight. Back onto the stove yesterday afternoon to simmer a bit more while I got the noodles ready and made some mini Italian bread loaves as a side dish.

The sauce (recipe of sorts to follow)
View attachment 521441

A small amount of sauce in the pan so the noodles don't stick
View attachment 521442

First layer of noodles and cottage cheese (Tracy's preference over ricotta)
View attachment 521443

Sauce, mozz, Parmesan, and Romano
View attachment 521444

Repeat till you run out of ingredients. I got 4 layers out of this and ran out of sauce and noodles
View attachment 521445

Mini Italian bread loaves fresh out of the oven
View attachment 521446

Lasagna onto the Weber
View attachment 521447

About 15 minutes in. Thermometer was reading about 250 but grate temp was probably closer to 350
View attachment 521448

All done, cut, and ready to serve
View attachment 521449

Plated up with the Italian bread loaves and some homemade marinara for dipping
View attachment 521450

Close up
View attachment 521451

I was gonna do a salad too but Tracy said there was no point. She had every intention of loading up on the lasagna. This was really good!! Loved the smoked flavor to it but there was just a bit much. Next time I'll cover for the first 15 minutes and uncover for the last 15 minutes. This scratched an itch that I've had for a long time and boy did we gorge ourselves. I was almost in pain when I finally deciding to stop eating...but it was oh so worth it!!

The sauce. I did not measure any of the spices so this is just a list. Season according to taste but this was about the best sauce I've made, probably due to letting it simmer all day and sit overnight. We all know that sauce is always better the next day :emoji_wink:

Garlic
Oregano
Basil
Black pepper
Crushed red pepper
Cayenne pepper
Pinch of ground coffee
Pinch of sugar

That's it. Simple stuff but very, very good. Thankfully we have some leftovers, even after feeding the neighbors. That pan of lasagna probably weighed over 10 pounds, minus the pan. It was dense, rich, filling, and amazingly flavorful. All in all a very gratifying meal and we will eat the last of it in the next couple days.

Thanks for dropping in. Be well, stay safe, and we'll see y'all soon I believe. Gonna fire up the new cabinet smoker today that I built and toss a few goodies on it. If things come out as planned, i might have a meal that's worthy of posting.

Fingers X'ed,
Robert
That looks really good! That red sauce recipe is simple. The pinch of coffee grounds is interesting.
We do lasagna on Christmas. My Dads side of the family is Italian, so we love Italian food!
Like you said, the sauce is always better the next day.

Let me share you our red sauce recipe:
(handed down from family)
1 can beef broth (or beef neck bones wrapped in cheese cloth)
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes or 5-7 fresh or frozen tomatoes.
1 28 oz tomato sauce
12-18 oz tomato paste
5 cloves fresh garlic
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp basil
1 T brown sugar
1 bay leaf
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper.
We mix all this together in a crock pot, set on low for 8 hours.
We make our own meatballs and add to sauce 4 hours before done.

Whoa, that's one fantastic cook Robert, big Like! I've thought of making lasagna and pizza on my Weber many times but figured the charcoal flavor would overpower the entire dish. How did you arrange the coals, indirect, SnS, snake method? I think giving my kettle a thorough cleaning to get a lot of the wood flavor and smoke scent out just might make this or a pizza doable, pizza on a stone. RAY

That looks really good! That red sauce recipe is simple. The pinch of coffee grounds is interesting.
We do lasagna on Christmas. My Dads side of the family is Italian, so we love Italian food!
Like you said, the sauce is always better the next day.

Let me share you our red sauce recipe:
(handed down from family)
1 can beef broth (or beef neck bones wrapped in cheese cloth)
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes or 5-7 fresh or frozen tomatoes.
1 28 oz tomato sauce
12-18 oz tomato paste
5 cloves fresh garlic
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp basil
1 T brown sugar
1 bay leaf
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper.
We mix all this together in a crock pot, set on low for 8 hours.
We make our own meatballs and add to sauce 4 hours before done.
If using fresh tomatoes do you peel and crush or dice/purée?

Do you pre cook the noodles or just put them in raw and let them stew/cook in the sauce. I find raw keeps them more supple when the whole lasagna is done.

I'm stealing both recipes of the red sauces for sure, the pinch of coffee is an awesome curiosity for me! Im definitely trying that.

corey

Reactions: yankee2bbq

Garlic
Oregano
Basil
Black pepper
Crushed red pepper
Cayenne pepper
Pinch of ground coffee
Pinch of sugar

Fingers X'ed,
Robert
Good question. I do what my grandma did, after a few hours of bathing in the sauce, I peel the tomatoes and crush them. Then, when the saucd is done, I remove the core and or stem from the sauce.
Sorry, I’m new to this, I’m surprised neither has onion? Is that common in traditional Italian?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky