Smoke Time and Temp?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Allan28

Original poster
Dec 31, 2019
Got a two part question
1. Are there any guidelines, as for the amount of time you introduce smoke to your foods? I know with my first attempt making jerky I only introduced smoke for 1 1/2 hrs during the 5 hour process, which was plenty for my taste, but see where some smoke the whole time? Is it de-pendant on what foods your smoking, as some require more, and some less? Or all just a personal preference for the amount of smoke flavor?

2. In order to produce a good blue smoke, higher temps are needed from what I read? So what is a good temp for this, and how do you go about getting a good blue smoke when smoking lower temp foods like jerky? Thanks

1. Depends type of item being smoked. IE a 16 lb packer brisket can handle longer smoke. Also type of wood being used. Fruit wood is milder, mesquite is stronger. Only way is to experiment and see what your tastes are. I personally like Apple/cherry for pork and oak for beef.
2. Clean burning fire produces clean smoke. Can be achieved at 200 or 350. Easier to achieve with a stick burner, although I can get a good smoke with my drum, it just a different set up using chunks instead of splits.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky