Smoke Ring Conundrum

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've read all about smoke rings. I know they do nothing for flavor, just look cool, but many people associate smoke rings with skill. Once again, it shouldn't matter, but it does.

In extensive articles about smoke rings, including the two links in this thread, the authors say salt does nothing to add to the formation of the smoke ring. But, I've noticed that when I dry brine meat the night before to a several days before a smoke, even if only using SPOG or MSS (Montreal Steak Seasoning), I get a smoke ring. The reason I noticed the difference is that until 2017, I basically never dry brined meat. I fired up the smoker, pulled the meat from the fridge, prepped it for the rub, and threw it on the smoker.

My wife is sensitive to too much salt, and often complained I used too much in the rub. I cut the amount of salt used, but didn't care for the resulting flavor. I went looking for an answer, and read an article about how you can use less salt and get better flavor by dry brining meat. I gave it a shot. She was happy, I liked the flavor, and I noticed the formation of a smoke ring.

Tri tip is a perfect example for me. With more than thirty years experience of grilling and smoking tri tips, I never saw a smoke ring. Until recently, I only grilled or smoked TT's to a maximum of 135F IT. The very first one I dry brined and grilled to an IT of 135F left a small smoke ring. The one I dry brined and took to 190F IT recently left a beautiful smoke ring. Personally, I believe salt does play a factor in the chemical process associated with smoke rings, myoglobin, and wood smoke.

Here is an example of a smoked tri tip from 2014. It was MSS rubbed, thrown on the WSM smoker for about an hour, and not reverse seared. Zero smoke ring, or so tiny it is unnoticeable without a magnifying glass.
Sunday smoke (2b).JPG

Here is one from 2017 I dry brined the night before with MSS, grill smoked on the Weber Kettle a little too long, then reverse seared. Notice the small smoke ring.
004.JPG

Here is a recent MSS dry brined tri tip that was Kettle smoked to 158F IT, then reverse seared. Once again, a bit of a smoke ring.
006.JPG

And finally, the tri tip that was MSS dry brined, smoked in the WSM for 5 hours, wrapped in butcher paper, then smoked to an IT of 190F, just shy of 9 hours. A beautiful smoke ring.
002.JPG

only using SPOG or MSS (Montreal Steak Seasoning), I get a smoke ring.

This past deer season , I cut 2 thick loin chops to take with me . Seasoned with Canadian steak seasoning and vac'd for the ride . Except I forgot them ! Called home had them put in the freezer .
Week or so later I cooked on a Weber kettle with royal oak . Those chops had the thickest , darkest smoke ring . Almost looked cured on the outer edge .

Reactions: magnus
Funny how people are misinformed about things. I don't even call it a "smoke ring" any longer, I refer it more correctly as the "combustion ring" because that's what forms it, the combustion gases from your cooker. No taste difference, just a little more sex appeal I guess. I still see; however, so-called "pit masters" on You Tube videos going on and on about the smoke ring, whatever.

By the way, nice comparison on the tri-tips noboundaries.

Reactions: magnus and Smokin66
Like so many other opinions before mine. The only thing that really matters is the taste of the meat. It's fun to have people notice it when they are enjoying the barbecue but in the end that is just a visual issue you will only notice for a moment or two. My charcoal based burners have never had an issue creating that ring in some form or another but if it tasted perfect and I never notice a ring again I'd be perfectly fine with it. Enjoy your time at your smoker.

George

LOL---A tube of the right color Lipstick will accomplish the same thing.
Or a Pink Food Safe Magic Marker.

Bear

Funny how people are misinformed about things. I don't even call it a "smoke ring" any longer, I refer it more correctly as the "combustion ring" because that's what forms it, the combustion gases from your cooker. No taste difference, just a little more sex appeal I guess. I still see; however, so-called "pit masters" on You Tube videos going on and on about the smoke ring, whatever.

By the way, nice comparison on the tri-tips noboundaries.

Yup those guys need to join us here on SMF and learn something. Ha :D

Warren

I've been able to produce some good smoke rings in my MES. Charcoal pellets in the AMNPS and some lump in the chip tray when I start it. Not much more work and I definitely see a nice smoke ring. I've never been concerned about it but I wondered if I could get a smoke ring consistently. A little bit of charcoal and sure enough , it's there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky