smoke penetration

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
never heard of smoking spices but have heard of
toasting whole spices before grinding to intensify the flavor

To follow up, I have a question about smoking whole chickens..

I smoked a whole chicken this weekend via beer in the butt.  I also brined the chicken, the oiled and put on a rub.  I am frustrated and feel like the chicken was pretty flavorless.  I feel like neither the smoke, nor the rub flavor actually made it into the chicken.

How do you guys get the rub to actually get into the chicken?  I have used spiced butter placed inside the chicken before and that helps, but I just feel like my chicken comes out rather flavorless.  

The skin is rubbery too, so we basically just throw that out.  (I am embarrassed to type that out.)

Any wisdom you guys can drop on me to get my chicken to have a more significant smokey flavor, or get some of that rub to actually get into the chicken breast?

To follow up, I have a question about smoking whole chickens..

I smoked a whole chicken this weekend via beer in the butt.  I also brined the chicken, the oiled and put on a rub.  I am frustrated and feel like the chicken was pretty flavorless.  I feel like neither the smoke, nor the rub flavor actually made it into the chicken.

How do you guys get the rub to actually get into the chicken?  I have used spiced butter placed inside the chicken before and that helps, but I just feel like my chicken comes out rather flavorless.  

The skin is rubbery too, so we basically just throw that out.  (I am embarrassed to type that out.)

Any wisdom you guys can drop on me to get my chicken to have a more significant smokey flavor, or get some of that rub to actually get into the chicken breast?

This thread is 9 years old so you may want to start a new thread to get more answers.

Runs really only sit on top of the skin or meat. Brines do okay but still only a small amount absorbs into the meat. For a real flavor change try injecting your marinade into the chicken. Allow it to sit 4-6 hours or over night in the fridge.

For the skin issue you really need to do a high temp smoke, 350-425. Or you need to put the bird in a high temp oven or on a high temp grill, deep fry for the last 10-15 minutes. Also having the skin super dry (no oil) right before putting the bird in the smoker will help.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky