smoke in my eyes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokezilla

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
port huron mich.
Hello, new to forum, i have a question, i have a char griller with mods, home made basket, stack down to grate, sealed sfb and main chamber, main chamber lined with ceramic grill bricks, and baffle made from aluminum drip pan. I have been using this setup for 8 months with great results. I recently extended stack 36 inches. yesterday at 3 am filled basket with royal oak lump and 20 minutes later it was at 225 (30 degrees outside) put 10 pound pork shoulder picnic in and used hickory chips for smoke. I add chips untill meat temp. was 160,  main chamber temp. stayed between 225 and 250 meat at 195 at 2 pm i took off, foiled it and wraped in towel for an hour. very tender and tasty, but no smoke flavor, just wondering if ext. made to much draft and sucked all smoke out to quick. any ideas,  thanx

If the stack extension is the only mod you have made and it has taken the smoke flavor out ,i would go back to the original stack height. You definantly changed the draft by adding height.

Say Zilla, welcome to the SMF. I think eman may have the solution for you. It';s all good my friend.

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Smoke to SMF. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction          

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Welcome to SMF, Eman is the Man! He is right again
icon_rolleyes.gif
 In my 250 RF I use all wood and never over power the meat! The more flow the less the criasote!

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

thanks for the ideas and for making me feel right at home here.  I forgot to tell you i soaked wood chips and added a hand full every half hour or so.  my wife bought me a turkey cannon from gander mountian i will be using with 14 pound turkey on thanksgiving (all so my birthday) i will try using apple wood chunks instead of chips before i go back to shorter stack, should i soak chunks in water thanx for info

Welcome to SMF Smokezilla. I think Eman got it right on. Early Happy Birthday to ya - enjoy the day

If you have smoke in your eyes, just repeat out loud "I hate white rabbits, I hate white rabbits" and the smoke will quit blowing in your face.  An old trick i learned growing up around the campfire in the colorado rockies.

I also soak for grilling but go dry for smoking.

2 cents from a newb but.... I have almost the same set up minus the extension.  With my chargriller I start with 1 full basket of Kingsford get it red hot then dump it and add about 25 more.  From there I throw split 12 to 15 inch long logs on every 45 minuets or so and I've never had a problem with over powered smokey flavor.  So again, just my 2 cents but with a Chargriller and SFB you have to use chunks at a minimum, I tried chips in the past and it just aint enough.

If you have smoke in your eyes, just repeat out loud "I hate white rabbits, I hate white rabbits" and the smoke will quit blowing in your face.  An old trick i learned growing up around the campfire in the colorado rockies.

I also soak for grilling but go dry for smoking.
When my son was in scouts he was taught "run, rabbit, run".  Always seemed to work for us!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky